To Change or Not to Change: Gear Box Oil

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
solo;619379 said:
The decision is yours. After all, it's your bimmer. For our bimmer, my Dad and I took the chance and changed it, even though the mileage was more than 70K.

Fingers crossed and touch wood, everything is okay so far.

Salut

Change gearbox oil is ok in fact it's recommended. What not recommended is gearbox flushing.

B33mEr;619983 said:
Change gearbox oil is ok in fact it's recommended. What not recommended is gearbox flushing.

Thats what AB told me yesterday, there is this fellow by the name of Puvan the technical advisor, he mention only oil change wihout changing the filter or flushing....

i think i heard the same... they say that if u flush it may ruin a lot of seal and mechanical items inside of it... :(

bro,the general concensus thru most bimmer forums i have read is to CHANGE the OIL and the FILTER.Don't flush.Synthetic oil must be used for yr e46,most likely ESSO ATF oil.
Flush - hook up to a machine that repalces all of the fluid to new.Cost will be more as more fluid is used.How much more exactly i donno.
Change - drain oil,drop pan and replace filter and top up till full.

Go to Kenny in USJ or Ah Foo of Damansara Kayu Ara - searc the forum for contact # or add

solo;619474 said:
That is the theory. I presented you with the theory and the practical scenarios. As you know in real life theory and practical are two different things. Sometimes they both are the same, sometimes they are not.

For my Dad and I, we went against the theory and took the risk of breaking the gearbox by changing the oil.

Bear in mind, what all forummers here, including I, give you are advice. You will make the final decision on you car. This is especially true for gearboxes. They are not simple buy-off-the-shelf items.

This is why I'm presenting you with two scenarios and letting you decide, instead of giving you a straight off recommendation.

Salut

Bro
U are totally confuse me now, your post now said (Bear in mind, what all forummers here, including I, give you are advice. You will make the final decision on you car.) Come on SINCE when i ask your advice ??? Even this thread was not started by me.
I reply this thread cause i notice your reply on this thread was very confusing lar...

Alex5522;620198 said:
Bro
U are totally confuse me now, your post now said (Bear in mind, what all forummers here, including I, give you are advice. You will make the final decision on you car.) Come on SINCE when i ask your advice ??? Even this thread was not started by me.
I reply this thread cause i notice your reply on this thread was very confusing lar...

I'm sorry if I gave you advice you did not ask for. My bad for forgetting to check who started the thread.

I'm also sorry I confused you. Just to make things clear, how did I confuse you?

Salut

Hi Bro Alex, bro Solo,
Chill bros, no worries about the confusions, just for discussion only, anyway I really treasure all your comments and advice, its really helpful. Its my first bimmer, my first "so call Hi Tech ride" Before this, i used to own a Japanese car and a very very Old Citroen. Really lot to learn for this ride and I really value all the advices bros given to me here! Keep the advice coming in bros in hope we can one day meet up for TT or bimmer chat

ivanblur;620276 said:
Hi Bro Alex, bro Solo,
Chill bros, no worries about the confusions, just for discussion only, anyway I really treasure all your comments and advice, its really helpful. Its my first bimmer, my first "so call Hi Tech ride" Before this, i used to own a Japanese car and a very very Old Citroen. Really lot to learn for this ride and I really value all the advices bros given to me here! Keep the advice coming in bros in hope we can one day meet up for TT or bimmer chat

Japanese cars are so much easier to take care off. By the way, have I confused you with what I said, so far?

Salut

solo;620298 said:
Japanese cars are so much easier to take care off. By the way, have I confused you with what I said, so far?

Salut

Bro Solo
Well not confused but a hard decision to make coz u did mentioned that after 70K milage if there is nothing wrong, just keep it the way it is, I wish I can do so but most ppl advice to change, hehehe, no big issues bro, like i said u left me with a hard decision rather than confusion, anyway thanks for the thoughtful thoughts again

Top Bottom