Throttle adaptation quickie guide

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

B33mEr

Club Guest
The 3 step routines for throttle and gearbox adaptation reset for drive by wire cars which is ...1- turn the key to position 2 and wait for 10 seconds2- turn it off for 10 seconds3- drive aggressively for certain miles before the DME takes that as your driving pattern and adapts the throttle and gearbox responseThe last part, which is driving aggressively, while it certainly is fun can be dangerous and inappropriate to say the least in terms of time, safety and road conditions. There is however another way to this ... I stumbled upon a thread at bimmerfest that outlines the steps similar to the above but without the aggressive driving part. So here goes ...1. turn the key to position 22. press the gas pedal fully to the floor. (far as it will go) .... wait 30-45 seconds3. turn off key then start the car and drive.It's basically the same as the previous method, however the adaptation is achieved without driving the car aggressively. The adaptation is achieved at the 2nd step, while depressing the gas pedal for 30-45 seconds. It worked for me ... the throttle and acceleration was noticeably different :top: But just to be sure that i'm not imagining it lol do post your feedback and results here ... :Dp/s: the steps are for cars with drive by wire and it may work across the previous BMW range i.e. E39, E36, or it may not... so feedback's are welcome :)p/s2: For E90, E60 or newer BMW the 1st set of instruction may still be applicable so do try and post your findings :D

Errr ... i mean accelerator throttle pedal lerrr lol but i get your point will amend it lol :top:

1. turn the key to position 2
2. press the gas pedal fully to the floor. (far as it will go) .... wait 30-45 seconds
3. turn off key then start the car and drive.

If im not mistaken, this also works for our E36 which are non fly-by-wire...

^^^ it will reset the gearbox adaptation i presume but am too not sure bro whether that is the case or not on a non drive/fly by wire... Hopefully others will chime in.

astroboy;399899 said:
Confirm not my E90... no key position 1,2,3 .. :(

ooopppss ... my bad E90 and the newer bmw doesn't have the turn ignition key. Will amend the post accordingly :embarassed: :top:

mizhan;399892 said:
pardon me.. is this applicable to my e46? thanks.

Yes bro ... it's for E46 and should be applicable for E39 as well tho it may work for previous models as well.

B33mEr;399876 said:
The 3 step routines for throttle and gearbox adaptation reset for drive by wire cars which is ...

1- turn the key to position 2 and wait for 10 seconds
2- turn it off for 10 seconds
3- drive aggressively for certain miles before the DME takes that as your driving pattern and adapts the throttle and gearbox response

The last part, which is driving aggressively, while it certainly is fun can be dangerous and inappropriate to say the least in terms of time, safety and road conditions. There is however another way to this ... I stumbled upon a thread at bimmerfest that outlines the steps similar to the above but without the aggressive driving part. So here goes ...

1. turn the key to position 2
2. press the gas pedal fully to the floor. (far as it will go) .... wait 30-45 seconds
3. turn off key then start the car and drive.

It's basically the same as the previous method, however the adaptation is achieved without driving the car aggressively. The adaptation is achieved at the 2nd step, while depressing the gas pedal for 30-45 seconds.
It worked for me ... the throttle and acceleration was noticeably different :top: But just to be sure that i'm not imagining it lol do post your feedback and results here ... :D

p/s: the steps are for cars with drive by wire and it may work across the previous BMW range i.e. E39, E36, or it may not... so feedback's are welcome :)

p/s2: For E90, E60 or newer BMW the 1st set of instruction may still be applicable so do try and post your findings :D

you could bypass all these by switching to Sport Mode. Immediate effect. ......

True but my sports mode will make the transmission fast and jerky ... with this i have better throttle response with a bit smoother change on normal mode for normal driving :D
Still i think it does makes a difference even on sports mode. But we can only know if more people post their results and feedbacks.

B33mEr;399907 said:
Yes bro ... it's for E46 and should be applicable for E39 as well tho it may work for previous models as well.

thanks! later i try..

just try it..donno if psycology or what but i feel the different...it works for me.hehehe thanx bro beemer

hakim_radzuan;400172 said:
just try it..donno if psycology or what but i feel the different...it works for me.hehehe thanx bro beemer

Thanks for the feedback bro :top:

Top Bottom