Swollen Sidewall

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

tongsatriani

Club Guest
Hello All, There is a bubble swellled from one of my tire's sidewall & it's just a year old bought in brand new. The distributor blame me for crashing into potholes!:confused::eek: thus no warranty. Can anyone put some points?
P1010003.jpg
P1010005.jpg

This kind of claim is a bit subjective. Most tyre shops wouldn't accept your claim as they would have difficulty claiming from the manufacturer as well.. Some are just lazy to go thru the procedures. Unless u know them well.

BTW, what tyre is that??

This is Firenza ST-03 225/45/17...what amused me is the reason the distributor gave. POTHOLES?????

tongsatriani said:
The is Firenza ST-03 22/45/17...what amused me is the reason the distributor gave. POTHOLES?????

possible jugak - happens to me before .. on DUNLOP SP9000

potholes, kerbs.... basically anything that may impact on the sidewall.... common enough problem....

My view is, this product is crap!! Potholes are everywhere. Why other makes are tougher?

I had been on potholes many times with some other brands but they don't swell!

Well, this call for Tribunals Claim again....

I will reserved my comments on Firenza. Heard enuf about it but still there are ppl who wants buy it. oh well...

having look closely at the picture, there seem to be three distinct parallel scratch marks on the tyre where the buldge is. Can you tell us how come the tyre got this scratch mark? Also the rim is also scratched around the area. Going over a big pothole does not leave this kind of damage.

As for me, I have the same problem as you and also same make as well. Mine was caused by side impact on tyre with my autogate after a late night out. It have been 6 months since but still the tyre never puncture.

The scratch mark was due to my poor side parking skills long ago! It is just a very slight rub on the sideways kerb. As you can see, my rim also kena! Will this "light scratch" render to buldging?

Yeah, given a choice Firenza is a no no but that time it's emergency. They don't have the ideal tire size...so, me no choice.

OIC, I don't think it a slight rub with side curb. If you would to look from the front, the side wall of the tyre do protude out by about 10 to 15mm from the rim. That mean the slight mark on the tyre must have an impact that is quite great in order to scratch the rim.

By the way, I am surprised that the distributor say it is due to pothole. Did they see the damage? I think the damage is due to side impact rather than pothole.

omg --- firenza ...never ..i think the tyre has certain specified load withstand and i think firenza can't achive that specification ...

i rather pick a used one ... cuz i have seen those tyre explode and bulge due to weak tyre radial wall ...

u should thank your lucky stars that you're still here ...

Yup! I drove to them & they had physically inspect & certify POTHOLE/IMPACT. What impact could have happened? Is it someone knock on it while reversing their car? As I remembered, potholes are the biggest impact I had.

The max load on this tire is 620kg. I sense it's due to a single layer sidewall that cause buldging.

I had discuss with Stamford Tyres. They want to do an autopsy on it. Meantime, I got to change my tire/s.

sometimes is due to lack of tire presure, if a tire wit 32psi and below and hit a nice pothole it will become like tht ...some times kerb also can happen ...

less tire presure will cause the side wall to be soft ...u are really lucky u did not crack your rims ...

Yea, kinda lucky to have driven 100++km with that condition. It's all down to the quality. Firenza s*cks, really! The pressure has never fall below 33 psi. Anyways, have to thank my lucky stars....

i have had 2 exploding firenzas , on 2 separate occassions , rear tyre.
These tyres are really crap.......apparently , they can t handle the load of our
heavier german cars. Best reserved for jap cars.

i dah kena berapa kali from my previous cars. bengkak due to pothholes., not any tyre brand. depend on ur driving... mostly pothole yang dalam dan lebar... kira nasib la kalau dah tak dapat dielak...

happened also to the best of tyres like my friend's PIRELLI twice!....and that was really due to entering potholes...

My advise is not to use it again.

Btw, I wunder if tyres with "RIM PROTECTOR" is more resistant to such unwanted Pregnancies on tyres....ie. those found on Yokos...

Jules said:
happened also to the best of tyres like my friend's PIRELLI twice!....and that was really due to entering potholes...

My advise is not to use it again.

Btw, I wunder if tyres with "RIM PROTECTOR" is more resistant to such unwanted Pregnancies on tyres....ie. those found on Yokos...

So the brand have nothing to do with it???

dooods..... what are you guys on about..... this is pretty much luck lah..... generally all tires can take a beating, they were designed to meet the road aint it? Its just that if you hit a protrusion just right, even Pirelli Pzeros osso will bengkak..... the firenzas are fine.... there's nothing wrong with them....

the same thing happened to someone i know...reason: he drove fast over a gigantic pothole

Top Bottom