Swaping Mechanical Fan for Electrical Fan

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

kaiserrand

Club Guest
Has anyone actually done this for the e46? It involves removing the mechanical that is fixed to the water pump and the aux fan in front of the radiator. Then you replace it with one electrical fan situated behind the radiator. Apparently most manual e46 have this setup. I've read this been done on numerous overseas forums but am unsure of the effect of doing so in our hot and humid climate. A positive note that has me gunning for this is that a few folks in AZ in the US have done it. And trust me summers over there are really hot. Rubber-soles-on-saddles-can-melt-on-the-tarmac kinda hot.Anyone?

isn't mechanical fan more reliable than electric fan, albeit being noisier

A few guys have done it, basically almost plug and play using the fan from the M54. The advantage is reducing parasitic losses which translates to more ponies :)

hky;695205 said:
isn't mechanical fan more reliable than electric fan, albeit being noisier

not too sure about reliability but it does put more stress on the engine.....and it REALLY is loud la.... :D

ALBundy;695224 said:
A few guys have done it, basically almost plug and play using the fan from the M54. The advantage is reducing parasitic losses which translates to more ponies :)

More ponies = more smiles for me :D

Do you have any idea where I can get it done? If I'm too gatal I may go ahead and DIY. But takut a bit la....

Just change to smaller fan clutch will do. Tested both small fan clutch and the electronic fans. The power and sound is absolutely the same. Plus It's more cost effective and reliable. :)

I had it changed a year ago. Ori electric fan from bosch, plug n play. The car feel lighther, pickup is better. Rm1.5 k

bkslee;701998 said:
I had it changed a year ago. Ori electric fan from bosch, plug n play. The car feel lighther, pickup is better. Rm1.5 k

Where did you got this done bro?

Top Bottom