Suspension Improvement

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bimmer_man

Club Guest
Hi Sifu, I drive a E46 328ci 01/05. I would like to improve on the suspension performance. Currently using B'stein absorber, but not sure of the spring. Rims r 17" (came with the car). Whenever i hit 160km/hr & above - i feel the car - floating. Feels like there's no grip - between tyre n road. hmmmm - scary at times. Question: Wasn't bimmer suspension designed: the faster u go, the lower the car gets? I heard some performance car do.... Looking forward to some advise and workshop details.... Cheers.

Sorry to tell you this bimmer_man, but that is the achelis heel of the E46. High speed instability.

Also, the E46 wasn't aerodynamically designed to generate more downforce as speed increases. It's actually the opposite, when a car gains speed, the air travelling under the car actually slows down, lifting the car. To combat this, aerodynamic engineers have introduced flat panels on the undercarraige of cars to actually reduce the turbulence and increase the air flow, thus pulling the car down. Aerodynamic body kits too help.

I just ran my E46 thru its paces today,

so let me correct some points which i posted last night.

There has been a huge improvement in the high speed stability of my E46 since the fitment of my Bilstein PSS coils. Before these, i had the 'standard' bilstein B8 with Eibach springs. Those i do not recommend unless you just want the lowered look.

Could also be the possibility of improvement was the caliboration of my Powerflex bushings, Anti-roll bars, strut bar and PSS.......

Changing suspension mounts, control arm bushings might help improve your setup also check your front lower arm too, 5yr old car guess its due for a check on the wear and tear items if nothing has been replaced since new.

I am using the Bilstein and eibach combo though like daniel said pss is better but its like almost four times the price! Wish i had pss9's yum!

Daniel is it easy to adjust? can it be done DIY at home with all the proper equipment of course?

without looking at what suspension you have installed, if your car feels floaty at 160km/h, its because your 'dampers' can't cope with everything thats going on. Increasing damping rates could help in this situation.

Considering that they're bilsteins dampers, we also have to remember that there are different ratings available for sale. Since your springs are unknown, the wrong damper and spring setup could also contribute to your problem.

It could also mean that the dampers are starting to wear out already as this will cause a reduction in the damping rates.

Running on MTECH Setup and its perfectly fine even at 180...

Top Bottom