sunroof installation

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

thirtysix

Club Guest
to the sifus n pros out there...i have a complete e36 roof (comes with sunroof), which i bought from the halfcut...the problem is, i dont know where could i install this thing, i'm driving an e36 318i '97...i'm from melaka, and i barely trust the workmanship here... i assume there should be no massive modification in order to fix the stuf to my ride, but still i rather ask around for a expert body shop that is specialized on sunroof mods...does anyone knows where and around how much do it cost?thanks :top:

Sorry, this is not helping..

1) Sun roof will add top weight to your ride and moves your CG up, thus sacrificing handling because body roll increases, not to mention the extra kilos added to your ride.

2) if the workmanship is not proper, you will have problem with JPJ next time you need to do ownership transfer when u sell the car.

Please think twice!

I believe, roof cannot be modified, alter, or what so ever.. It didnt comply with JPJ regulation..
Unless u just cut the top just to fit the sunroof... But no changing the whole roof part..

food_lover;419808 said:
I believe, roof cannot be modified, alter, or what so ever.. It didnt comply with JPJ regulation..
Unless u just cut the top just to fit the sunroof... But no changing the whole roof part..

Yes, u just open the lobang precisely to fit the sun roof and must avoid the frame.. u don't replace the entire roof and never never cut the A, B, C-pillar!..

I have a friend who did the same for his Perdana (just open a small lobang with all pillars intact) but still he has big problem. JPJ fail him claiming illegal body mod.

astroboy;419824 said:
Yes, u just open the lobang precisely to fit the sun roof and must avoid the frame.. u don't replace the entire roof and never never cut the A, B, C-pillar!..

that was what a pro at my place does " as mentioned aove "....but also depends on the owner case if he's willing to let loose the original manufacturing revets ...

if you tamper the original rivets to remove the original roof , they usually make a wooden clamp to hold your top side to ensure the frame is not being open up to the max ....if open up to the max , then you may not have balance of the right side and the left side of the body ..this is done by removing the front and rear glass ..

also depends on individual liking and how deep the wallet is ...

everything is possible is the boleh land ..

Love those sunroof ......

hey bro....how are u? are the springs working well on ur ride?
as they all have said..yea u cant cut the entire roof off..sure fail JPJ inspection. but u can mod the roof to fit in ur sunroof. Melaka i also not familiar with the workshops...but my bodywork guy in USJ did a fantastic sunroof for his E34...very original looking. will sms u his number soon

thirtysix;419760 said:
to the sifus n pros out there...
i have a complete e36 roof (comes with sunroof), which i bought from the halfcut...
the problem is, i dont know where could i install this thing, i'm driving an e36 318i '97...
i'm from melaka, and i barely trust the workmanship here... i assume there should be no massive modification in order to fix the stuf to my ride, but still i rather ask around for a expert body shop that is specialized on sunroof mods...
does anyone knows where and around how much do it cost?

hi bro - would like to know how much u bought the sunroof. It is a glass roof or ??? I saw 1 in mudah.com.my but selling rm750 but not glass roof. Have fren can install but dun know wat the price. Manb let u know latter. Thnks

guyz please pm me the number of the mech who can do the sunroof job as well,i need to do a replacement for mine.....thanks

jo-e34;431438 said:
guyz please pm me the number of the mech who can do the sunroof job as well,i need to do a replacement for mine.....thanks

u also want to add sunroof kaa..seremban mesti ada mech bole buat maa...

mine came with sunroof only thing now is looking for replacement seal or change the whole set....

i got a entire roof wit sunroof for e36.wanted to fix to my car.i was wonderring.since our cars are conti car.

how could jpj know that we did the conversion if we just cut the roof without removing the entire roof.

in the reg card does not state cars wit sunroof or not right?

can someone that have done this installation give some comment pls.

by the way whats the cost of the installation range like?

thank u

true enuff bro.....sun roof is not stated in the card but the card is written down imported cbu.....vehicle......so from there maybe they can trace.....but....if u are passing by a road block maybe they wont notice much cos still conti....unless they have those small small hand held thingie.....then they might find out la.....i guess....:D

McFir7;440243 said:
i got a entire roof wit sunroof for e36.wanted to fix to my car.i was wonderring.since our cars are conti car.

how could jpj know that we did the conversion if we just cut the roof without removing the entire roof.

in the reg card does not state cars wit sunroof or not right?

can someone that have done this installation give some comment pls.

by the way whats the cost of the installation range like?

thank u

hi...
u have to endorse ur regn card for sunroof. apply to bahagian teknik jpj putrajaya, then have ur car inspect (B2 pemeriksaan khas-sunroof) at any puspakom and send the doc to jpj for endorsement.

Top Bottom