Style 66 Rims - Fitting Problem

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

niche

Club Guest
Needs help with fitting problem for a Style 66 rims for my E39 2003 520i.

I was looking at some used Style 66 rims the other day. The specifications are as follows:

Front - 17 x 8J offset 20
Rear - 17 x 9J offset 26

The rear rims had used tyres 255/40 (sure it was 255 but not sure if its 40) on them and I tried one on. To my disappointment, the inside wall of the tyre actually impinges onto the wheelfender - no gap for even a thin cardboard to pass in between. I did not fit the smaller front rims to test. Obviously the purchase was off.

I am puzzled as to why this is the case. I thought Style 66 rims will fit all E39s. Is there any way of overcoming this problem without using spacers? - like using 245/45 or even 235/45 tyres? How about using all 4 smaller 17 x 8J rims to both the front and rear (will have to buy 2 sets and sacrifice the bigger rear rims - expensive solution) but will this work?

Thanks for input / advice.

i am using the default tyre size for style 66 and it fits perfectly without any modification. but i notice that the rear gap is very much less than the front. your case might have something to do with the lowering spring. maybe the car is too lowered already making the tire touches the fender.

Original setup for staggered style 66 is 235/45 front and 255/40 back. For the non-staggered style 66, 235/45 all round.
Doesn't make sense as to why it won't fit. As huskar3399 mentioned, maybe your car is lowered?? Blown shocks?? Or something is causing camber to be toe out?? Go take another look at your car. Check the tire size of the rims again.

If you're looking for a bit more comfort then you might want to try 225/50 front and 245/45 back. Looking for another 2 rims 17 x 8J would not be wise. Perhaps you should hunt around again for a squared setup. Depends on whether you want a staggered or square setup. Good luck in your hunt!

Thanks for replies.

The car is now in workshop for overhaul - mainly engine oil consumption issue but will also deal with most other necessary things.

I'm pretty sure the springs are not lowered (although I'm the second owner). The mechanic will look into this rim problem and correct whatever that is/are causing the problem.

Still very keen on the Style 66 rims for its design and style. Will update when car ready.

Cheers.

Finally, my e39 is fitted with the staggered Style 66 rims. Rear 245/45/17 and front 225/50/17. The earlier worry about the tyres touching the fender did not happen - to my relief. Cheers.

My 520i using 245/45/17 all round on Style 66 staggered setup, no issues. Bilstein B8 shocks and M-Sport spring. Next tyre change I might revert back to factory setup 235/45 front 255/40 rear.

The pics will come as soon as the weather changes and the background lush green :smile: (so vain).

Just to stir some discussion if any, re tyre sizes.

The original E39 came with Style 48 rims that are 7J x 16 inches, fitted with 225/55 tyres.

After doing some search on the net, if the Style 66 rims (17 inches) are fitted with:-

235/45 tyres, the roll radius will change by -1.68% and 255/40 by -2.75% ;
225/45 by -3.06% and 245/40 by -3.98% ;
225/50 by +0.46% and 245/45 by -0.31%.

That is the reason why I went for the staggered 225/50 and 245/45 - the least changes to roll radii. All round 245/45 is a good option as the change in roll radius is minimal and the tyres can be rotated.

Yeap, should try get it back to the original rolling radius. If you had gone with the original tire size, your meter would have been over reading (meter reading 100km/h but you would actually be doing 98km/h). This would then affect all your readings and service intervals (negligible, i would say).

But yet again,

1) What about similar models which are rolled out from the factory brand new with optional original 18" rims on them?? Are the meters or anything else tweaked in anyway to suite the rim size?? I don't think so.

2) Different models of the same manufacturer (say Pilot Sport 3 vs Pilot Preceda) also have different roll radius despite being the same size. Look through their brochures.

3) Most meters tend to be more optimistic (reading higher than actual speed).

SO, it boils down to what you would want to achieve with the given roll radius.

I have before and after Style-66-rims pictures but do not know how to attach them here. Any advise, keep it to the simplest, I am not good with this thing.

Top Bottom