strange sound

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

karate70

Club Guest
hi all. i m new here. just got myself a 2000 e46 jap spec b4 cny. car is runnin fine except now i hv this strange sound (tuk tuk) when i decelerate and accelerate slowly. it sounds like coming fr the back (left side). i went to a normal mechanic and he could not find the fault. he told me it may b due to the gearbox (rear) bein loose. would appreciate if someone can assist me to solve this sound n where may i go to rectify it. the sound is irritatin me.thx n cheers

does the sound frequency increase when you accelerate and decrease when you slow down...??? i have the same sound... most probably something to do with rear diff flange i think....

Last time I got a tuk tuk sound on my car, it was due to a pesky screw stuck on my tyre....

i have this also but not all the time and it very soft, like some of the guys say it is due to the timing and program of the gearbox. I dont think the sound is there when u stop slowly, it only happen when u step the brake hard for quick stop. New car with new gearoil the noise not so much but once it get wear & tear of the gearoil this sound is more notiable.

last time i heard a tuk tuk sound.. i was in the back of one in bkk.. on the way to brothel!! hahaha...

(layan sendiri)

How come lately lots of people experience this problem? Mine should be due to increase of driver's weight due to festivities. :D

Cabutz!!

thx for the replies. i sent in last sat to hv it check n the mechanic told me might be the rear gearbox hvin "freeplay".
told me 2 solutions..
1) change gear oil first n try and if noise persist
2) change gearbox.
he told me since still under warranty fr car dealer might as well sent it back. will be sendin my car in on mon and will keep you all posted

i sent my car in last week n the sound is still there. so this mornin i sent it again. it is more apparent tht the gearbox is the prob.. luckyly still under warranty. while there due to inconsistent air con flow they change the regulator and charged me RM550. wondering if tht is a fair price?

cheers

Your topic has been towed to the appropriate section, in the future please refer to the main forum page for guidance.
There will be a link from the original place of posting leading to the new place (This states the approriate place).
If this thread is a tech question and if you are not sure which catergory to post under, please post under general tech.
If this thread is a 'FS or WTB' then post in the classifieds.

Thank You

-The Moderator

at last the sound is gone... combination of gearbox, axle n drive shaft... damn lucky still under warranty...

Top Bottom