Strange oil problem

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

chinlai

Club Guest
Last weekend, after about a week not driving my car, I took it out for a spin. Upon arriving home, as I was reversing in, I noticed a lot of white smoke coming from under my car. At first I thought it was a broken exhaust, but upon closer inspection, it was actually some red oil (suspect to be the transmission oil), had leaked all over the under carriage and was causing the steam problem. Took it back to the shop who recently overhauled my gearbox, and they cleaned it up and drove it around. They too suspect its leaking from the transmission, but till today there does not seem to be a leak (will look again later..). The oil levels seems stable and am curious to find out if anyone has had this experience before... My ride seems to have lost some power though. :(

IF its hydraulic fluid, please check your power steering oil reservoir as well. As for gearbox oil leak, few possible locations 1) oil sump (gasket) 2) oil seal (where the gearbox is connected to the engine). Easiest way is to clean and wash away the oil residues, drive it a short distance and see where its leaking from.

In my case, I had hydraulic fluid leaking from one of the power steering hoses and the leak really made a bloody mess of my undercarriage.

The hose in question is the bloody long one, from the power steering pump on the left hand side of the engine, crosses under the engine to the right hand side, and to the steering box. Decided to change all hoses for a peace of mind. :beaten:

Like what BIG AL says, better get all hoses check while the car is up on the jack. You can't say, when our cars are that old.

Could it be you drove thru a patch of oil ...???

Check the rest too bro power steerinf , brakes etc etc :D

Originally posted by ALBundy@Jul 15 2005, 03:09 PM
IF its hydraulic fluid, please check your power steering oil reservoir as well. As for gearbox oil leak, few possible locations 1) oil sump (gasket) 2) oil seal (where the gearbox is connected to the engine). Easiest way is to clean and wash away the oil residues, drive it a short distance and see where its leaking from.
PS use hydraulic fluid meh......?Shud be atf dexron 3 shouldn't it?

Top Bottom