Sticky Boot?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

echoesian

Club Guest
Has anyone here experience intermittent problem when the boot lid does not open fully. Everytime when I open the boot especially during cold start, the boot kinda stick to the body and does not open fully automatically. However after the car has been driven quite a bit, when I press the remote, it will open nicely.

Mine does not open fully after few months of ownership. This only happens if I have not opened the boot for more than a day. Once I open it the first time, the second and third time will be okay. I'm thinking its the rubber seal that is causing it to not open properly.

Today sent to SC, technician claimed had fix it by putting oil, however after came back home open it again still got the same problem.

echoesian said:
Today sent to SC, technician claimed had fix it by putting oil, however after came back home open it again still got the same problem.
Send it back again. Most likely is the alignment of the boot lid. Do you have to use more force to close your boot lid? Check the edges of the lockset on the boot cover to see any scratches or bruising? That's a sign of mis alignment of the boot lid door.

splee said:
Send it back again. Most likely is the alignment of the boot lid. Do you have to use more force to close your boot lid? Check the edges of the lockset on the boot cover to see any scratches or bruising? That's a sign of mis alignment of the boot lid door.
Yes the lockset has a lot of scratches... What should I do? Shall I try the this link http://www.f30post.c...ad.php?t=862042 ?

molasses917 said:
I found this guide, am going to try tomorrow to adjust the spring

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=862042

[edit]: DIYed it myself quite easily, basically just move the spring to hook into another notch so there is more tension. If anyone wants some pictures of where to find the spring let me know. Now it opens beautifully everytime
Just managed to pull out and look into the spring, however I find the spring is hard and already fixed into position, how shall it be adjusted?

Few weeks ago when I was at The Garden shopping mall, Lexus displayed their ES & RX model over there. I went to check out the ES model boot and some how, they have a design that when the boot is unlock, it will not open up by it's own. A little effort to push it up, then the boot will fully open. I asked the Lexus SA on duty why the boot is designed in such a way, the funny answer he gave me was, "the boot was design to suit our local weather, e.g., when it was raining and you wanna put in something in your boot, it allows you to take control of the boot with minimise rain water splash into the boot. Not like our BMW or other Conti car, the boot will widely open up.".....

It sounds funny by given me such a layman answer. :66:

i just pulled it really hard, it will move. its not actually fixed, its just quite high tension, so need a bit of strength

echoesian said:
Just managed to pull out and look into the spring, however I find the spring is hard and already fixed into position, how shall it be adjusted?

Finally sent to the SC again for the fourth time and the SC sent to its authorised panel workshop to adjust the boot, finally it opens and closes nicely each time even in the morning.

I just sent mine in for various troubleshooting and the sticky boot is on the list of to do's so will revert back if they have successfully fixed it. I even printed out the solution posted on the foreign F30 forums and handed it to the SC haha

Top Bottom