Steering Wheel Cannot Turn

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bmw7833

Club Guest
My steering wheel cannot turn! Lucky this happen when i park the car in front of my house.Anyone encountered this problem where the car can be start but steering wheek can not move? Like steering lock.

Wah, it does not sound good lim....hows the car now?

She has to overnite outside. Call my workshop friend and he said dangerous for me to drive the car now even I can turn the steering now as the steering will lock again anytime.

Searched some info in website and looks like it is costly to replace the mechanism.

What they do are bypass the steering lock system so have no more the steering lock permanently. There is a fast solution by drilln a hole in steering column (but I don't know what exactly the purpose).

Sounds as bad as E60 active-steering kaput. Hope you get it fixed/bypassed soon!

bmw7833;768090 said:
She has to overnite outside. Call my workshop friend and he said dangerous for me to drive the car now even I can turn the steering now as the steering will lock again anytime.

Searched some info in website and looks like it is costly to replace the mechanism.

What they do are bypass the steering lock system so have no more the steering lock permanently. There is a fast solution by drilln a hole in steering column (but I don't know what exactly the purpose).

How costly for changing the steering lock ? Is it change whole steering column with half cut steering column can solve the problem ? if yes then u can ask Melvin Lee to sell u the steering column.
Or u just only need to change this? -->http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-N...s_SM&hash=item3f1ba48d91&_uhb=1#ht_714wt_1163 ---------or -->

Bro ,
did it get gradually get stucked to feel lumpy before it became totally locked?

Mine was the mounting screw deep down the steering shaft just above the brake pedal. it was loose and was wedged inside the sleeve hence jamming the shaft.

So one fine morning while parking at my office it was totally locked and when I forced the steering wheel hard, all the columns dropped down as the extra force also made the steering pushed inside and dropped from its mounting all together

So all I needed to do was tightening the screw back and all was ok. Quite fix. Cost me RM50 at a local accessory shop.

After that I replaced the engine mounting as it was the cause of vibration that gradually made the steering shaft mounting screw to get undone.

zib;768250 said:
Bro ,
did it get gradually get stucked to feel lumpy before it became totally locked?

Mine was the mounting screw deep down the steering shaft just above the brake pedal. it was loose and was wedged inside the sleeve hence jamming the shaft.

So one fine morning while parking at my office it was totally locked and when I forced the steering wheel hard, all the columns dropped down as the extra force also made the steering pushed inside and dropped from its mounting all together

So all I needed to do was tightening the screw back and all was ok. Quite fix. Cost me RM50 at a local accessory shop.

After that I replaced the engine mounting as it was the cause of vibration that gradually made the steering shaft mounting screw to get undone.

I think your is different with my problem. My problem is mostly in the key lock mechanism (not sure only guess).

bmw7833;768255 said:
I think your is different with my problem. My problem is mostly in the key lock mechanism (not sure only guess).

If possible take a picture of ur lock mechanism. Different batch of e39 using different lock mechanism.

For what it worth...I have the same problem with my e39 last month.

I locked steering after parking, then cannot un lock.
Try a few time, after shaking the steering a few time, then can unlock.

End up changing a used steering lock mechanism (like a hollow Y tube) due to a pin is broken. RM 330 from kedai potong but another RM100 for workmanship.
Seem to have a lot of work to remove the steering column... just make sure they dont spoilt and of your plastic casing when they open it up.

No problem after changing that....

Good luck.

Car is back to road now.

On the flatbed.

IMG_0071.jpg

Operation at night time.

IMG_0074.jpg

Finally the culprit was out! The 2 small pieces broken parts.

IMG-20120904-00326.jpg

All in 2 hours and RM150 labor.

So you do you need to replace the whole steering column or just the switch only?

Nothing to replace. Mechanic took out the steering lock mechanism, so no more steering lock for me.

Used steering lock is about RM300-RM350 like what iamafiacar528 mentioned.

Without steering lock is ok as e39 seems unattractive for car thief.

Herbert;768673 said:
Without steering lock is ok as e39 seems unattractive for car thief.

This days, they would practically steal any car even kancil's. Irregardless of whether your car has steering locks or not they can easily disable it in less than 5 minutes. My friend had his waja stolen in less than 10 minutes. The police found the car 3 months later abandoned in a housing area. They stripped the engine parts, interiors, seat, door trim etc and wheels. Car was declared total loss as repair cost exceed insured sum.

Top Bottom