SPARK PLUG

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

leonard

Club Guest
Hi All,Just wondering what is the recommended interval for changing the sparkplug ? Otherwise, what are the signs which indicate the need to change ? Appreciate the advice from all the sifus here !Thanks !

Originally posted by leonard@Dec 27 2005, 10:14 PM
Hi All,

Just wondering what is the recommended interval for changing the sparkplug ? Otherwise, what are the signs which indicate the need to change ? Appreciate the advice from all the sifus here !

Thanks !
i dunno about regular intervals but i change thm every 6 mths maximum.
signs tht signify time for change???.......

1) engine misses at idle speed= worn plugs or incorrect gap

2) engine misfires on acceleration = spark plugs fouled

3) pinking or knocking engine sounds whn accelerating or driving uphill= damaged spark plugs or ht leads or incorrect spark plugs fitted

4) engine runs-on after switching off= spark plugs defective or incorrect grade.

make sure tht ur spark plugs r the correct type....

hope this helps,
rgds,
-brad-

OK, the correct type of spark plug is critical! Mine is E46 318 pre-facelift ie 1.9 L. Enquired that there are two types (may be more) to choose from i.e. NGK or Bosch. Which one is recommended ? I believe each has its own pros and cons! Hope to get some sharing here from those who had tried it !!
Thanks !

i dunno about e46,but for my e30 it was recommended to use champion spark plugs N9YCC.....
but i guess bosch or ngk will suffice too.

but i dont recommend u getting the iridium spark plugs as the 'improvements' are minimal if any at all.....(trust me,i tried it)

rgds,
-brad-

Originally posted by tyke@Dec 28 2005, 01:19 PM
i dunno about e46,but for my e30 it was recommended to use champion spark plugs N9YCC.....
but i guess bosch or ngk will suffice too.

but i dont recommend u getting the iridium spark plugs as the 'improvements' are minimal if any at all.....(trust me,i tried it)

rgds,
-brad-
the best plugs are the ones from BMW which you can obtain from BMW spareparts vendors..p/s those with the BMW logos..

Dear Dvng,
The BMW logos you mentioned is printed on the spark plug it self or on the packaging ?? Cos one of the BMW spareparts vendor told me that NGK plug with BMW logos on the packaging will cost RM80+ per piece wheares the one with normal packaging cost only RM32 per piece !! but according to the vendor both of them are the same i.e. NGK !!!

Originally posted by leonard@Dec 29 2005, 11:45 AM
Dear Dvng,
The BMW logos you mentioned is printed on the spark plug it self or on the packaging ?? Cos one of the BMW spareparts vendor told me that NGK plug with BMW logos on the packaging will cost RM80+ per piece wheares the one with normal packaging cost only RM32 per piece !! but according to the vendor both of them are the same i.e. NGK !!!
the ones with the BMW's on the plug itself...even though it is made by NGK's but it is done with BMW's specifications...believe me its slightly different in terms of materials specifications...more durable..this is because new cars are not sold instantly and they maybe sitting in the storage yard for months before it is sold, exported etc before and driven..therefore spark plugs which are fitted at the factory have to be spec higher...same as batteries in watches the ones that came originally with the watch can last 2 to 3 times longer than the ones you replaced....

Normal plugs intented for BMW is fine (Bosch is the most common). Your mech will be able to tell you need to change or not. Normal interval for normal drive will be around 30-40k. That's what I'm practicing. Plugs can normally last long if your ride is tip top.

mini jeff, that is my style. other ppl doing it at other intervals. i used semi synthetic 10w40 for all my cars n change my engine oil every 5000km.......

u create ur own style or follow others or follow the guideline in the bmw book......

sorry guys but me need to know a detail abt my e30 plugs. what is the correct rating for the E30 M40......help me help me couse i amdamn confused.....

Hi all,
I would like to know if the specified spark plug for e36

NGK BKR 6 EK

or

Bosch F7 LDCR

is difficult to find? Also how much are they?

Alex

Originally posted by snake@Feb 19 2006, 09:46 PM
sorry guys but me need to know a detail abt my e30 plugs. what is the correct rating for the E30 M40......help me help me couse i amdamn confused.....
snake,
should b 9 rating,more or less the same as an e30 m20 i guess....call the number/s below if ur unsure...

aoc,
best bet is to call these guys...

1) 1st division @ 03-6251 9815

2) Bavarian Auto @ 03-7875 6204

3) Munich Auto @ 03-4043 2418

4) Stuttgart @ 03-7803 9438

snake & aoc they shld be able to tell u the right ones....

rgds,
-brad-

Originally posted by aoc@Feb 20 2006, 11:25 AM
Hi all,
I would like to know if the specified spark plug for e36

NGK BKR 6 EK

or

Bosch F7 LDCR

is difficult to find? Also how much are they?

Alex
these are common rating plugs used in most BMW engines.

snake,
should b 9 rating,more or less the same as an e30 m20 i guess....call the number/s below if ur unsure...

Racing plugs ah??? 9 is too high for normal street use leh...

Top Bottom