SOS button, what does it do?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

vortex_kl

Club Guest
Hi,My car has this SOS/telephone button located on above the rear-view mirror and the reading lamp. My dealer told me that if say the car got hijacked, I can press the button and the police will soon come wherever I am. He told me I don't have to register the car with AB or whatever or even need to insert a SIM card anywhere since it's already connected to the police station and he has tried it before.I'm just a bit skeptical about it... anybody know how does it really work?TIA.

I haven't got the car yet... maybe early next week. I did press it during the test drive and it says something like "dialing in 10 seconds" and a countdown. I aborted when it was 1 sec remaining... don't want any trouble with the police if it does work (same like making a false 911 calls). :burnout:

vortex_kl;738189 said:
My dealer told me that if say the car got hijacked, I can press the button and the police will soon come wherever I am. He told me I don't have to register the or and the reading lamp. car with AB or whatever or even need to insert a SIM card anywhere since it's already connected to the police station and he has tried it before.
when u collect car from dealer, press the SOS button. if police doesn't show up, asked them why. either they continue to give you more bs about why no show from police or apologise for mistake about the function of the button.

I think its because the sim card is already inserted I saw some ccc come with sim card attach. If ap car not sure the feature work. I know my sis car has this in uk but after 2 year , you need to pay one advantage of the feature is uou can track the car.

Hahaha... I think that'll be the first thing I do when getting the car, pressing the SOS button. :)

I read somewhere else that even without any SIM card installed, a mobile phone (I believe its some kind of mobile phone installed in the car) is still able to make emergency call and in some countries like UK, it need to have a SIM card even a deactivated one for the emergency call to be made.

vortex_kl;738354 said:
Hahaha... I think that'll be the first thing I do when getting the car, pressing the SOS button. :)

I read somewhere else that even without any SIM card installed, a mobile phone (I believe its some kind of mobile phone installed in the car) is still able to make emergency call and in some countries like UK, it need to have a SIM card even a deactivated one for the emergency call to be made.

i assume yours is an AP / Grey import version, UK based, but i think you may have an problem even it can dial

bmw voice for Malaysia is : 1 800 88 3000 and UK is 0800325600.

so i think best is just press the sos, the BS of link to police station i do not buy it that is dealer total BS

dark1234;738378 said:
i assume yours is an AP / Grey import version, UK based, but i think you may have an problem even it can dial

bmw voice for Malaysia is : 1 800 88 3000 and UK is 0800325600.

so i think best is just press the sos, the BS of link to police station i do not buy it that is dealer total BS

Will do Sir... as i wrote in my first post, I'm skeptical about it and will not rule out it being total BS. :)

I actually forgotten about this until I got bored waiting for wife outside a clinic just now. I pressed the button and it actually called out... the 999 line!!! I wanted to cancel the call but I can't and I had to wait until the 999 operator answered and asked me "Encik ada kecemasan? Ini Talian 999" I had to apologize and told her I was just testing the SOS button in my car.

One thing I noticed is that the call was not made thru my iPhone even though it's paired via BT so the car do has its own SIM for making emergency call. I also noticed that my location was mentioned on the iDrive screen but were not sure if the location was transmitted as well.

Top Bottom