soon to be e46 owner

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

LiteBulb

Club Guest
hi all,i will soon be joining the bandwagon with a 330ci with ori sports kit.i will prolly change do a 1 round service which covers (do advise if i may have left out any):- engine oil change- gear/atf oil flushed- brake pads- spark plugs- oil filter change- air filter change- air con service1) for engine and atf oil, i have been using torco on my current ride (toyota). can i use the same oil on hte bimmer?2) i am looking for a brake pad that could withstand hard braking. any suggestion?3) i had quite a bit of handling mods made to my toyota (aftermarket coilovers, strut bars and antiroll bar). the beemer IMO, handles heavier than the toyota and i feel that it is not very responsive when manouvering tight corners (or maybe i am not used to it yet). therefore, do you suggest i swap the ori sports suspension for aftermarket coilovers?4) sometimes i can hear a 'krok krok' sound coming from the steering wheel, as if the steering is not solid. anyone with similar issues?4) which workshop do you suggest i send my new ride for service? i will need them to be able to help me fix any issue that i could discover with that car.

LiteBulb;575498 said:
hi all,

i will soon be joining the bandwagon with a 330ci with ori sports kit.

i will prolly change do a 1 round service which covers (do advise if i may have left out any):

- engine oil change
- gear/atf oil flushed
- brake pads
- spark plugs
- oil filter change
- air filter change
- air con service

1) for engine and atf oil, i have been using torco on my current ride (toyota). can i use the same oil on hte bimmer?

The main consensus is that as long it's 30-40W weight range and it is LL-01 you're good to go. Otherwise any fully synthetics oil will be good as well. The main thing is to have a regular oil change intervals (OCI) every 5k-10k km. If i'm not mistaken Torco also have it's LL-xx range of oil too for BMW's.
For ATF better stick to the original fluids by BMW. Also do change your axle oil too, am using Redlines 75W-90 gear oil

2) i am looking for a brake pad that could withstand hard braking. any suggestion?

BMW original brake pads are the best as it provides great initial bite and stopping power. But you didn't say whether you're going to track the car or not ... and brake pads are just one of the equations. You could go for BMW performance rotors or aftermarket rotors like brembo's (RM2k last time i heard), steel braided brake lines, high perfromance brake fluids and etc.

3) i had quite a bit of handling mods made to my toyota (aftermarket coilovers, strut bars and antiroll bar). the beemer IMO, handles heavier than the toyota and i feel that it is not very responsive when manouvering tight corners (or maybe i am not used to it yet). therefore, do you suggest i swap the ori sports suspension for aftermarket coilovers?

My suggestion is to learn about the behaviour of the car 1st ... Get used to it's strength and weaknesses. Only then you could truly appreciate and understand a coilovers does to your car. I'm still on M-Tech suspensions and will be changing to aftermarket once it's shot. Besides coilovers get an adjustable Anti Roll-Bar like H&R or Eibachs, front and rear struts, front and real control arm bushings by powerflex

4) sometimes i can hear a 'krok krok' sound coming from the steering wheel, as if the steering is not solid. anyone with similar issues?
Not sure about that ... Maybe other members can chime in

4) which workshop do you suggest i send my new ride for service? i will need them to be able to help me fix any issue that i could discover with that car.
Please refer to the many threads dedicated to workshops and e46 maintenance.
http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246&highlight=workshops

Welcome to the world of BMW's bro :D My answer in blue :)

p/s: do check out e46fanatics.com and bimmerfest.com for everything that is E46 :D

LiteBulb;575498 said:
hi all,

i will soon be joining the bandwagon with a 330ci with ori sports kit.

i will prolly change do a 1 round service which covers (do advise if i may have left out any):

- engine oil change
- gear/atf oil flushed
- brake pads
- spark plugs
- oil filter change
- air filter change
- air con service

1) for engine and atf oil, i have been using torco on my current ride (toyota). can i use the same oil on hte bimmer?

2) i am looking for a brake pad that could withstand hard braking. any suggestion?

3) i had quite a bit of handling mods made to my toyota (aftermarket coilovers, strut bars and antiroll bar). the beemer IMO, handles heavier than the toyota and i feel that it is not very responsive when manouvering tight corners (or maybe i am not used to it yet). therefore, do you suggest i swap the ori sports suspension for aftermarket coilovers?

4) sometimes i can hear a 'krok krok' sound coming from the steering wheel, as if the steering is not solid. anyone with similar issues?

4) which workshop do you suggest i send my new ride for service? i will need them to be able to help me fix any issue that i could discover with that car.

1) Engine and gearbox oil should not simply try, especially gearbox. Better follow the same requirements, gearbox oil also cannot be simply mix, due to the remaining inside. Try using the BMW gb oil for reliability.

2) So far i've tested some brands for break pad, the best for normal drivers is Australia Bendix Metal King.

3) 1st of all, u need to ask urself , do u like stiff feel or street or soft feel. I suggest u go for Msport systems that suitable for both conditions.

4)krok krok sounds. Obviously u need to send to mechanic inspec the steering rod, racks and bushes as well that can resulted that sound.

5) Since u have plenty of items to replace, i will susgest u 2 places. Mspeed USJ (Ah meng) for cheaper and economy. 2nd place is M1 segambut, it will be around 30% more expensive but they are known as the best so far. u wont have to go back for 2nd time, they will 100% fix ur problem before hand over the car to u.

thanks for all your welcoming suggestions! i am getting abit too hyped up at the moment. the car wont be tracked, but would like to set it up a grade below track settings.

will need to first fix my interior (the rubbery console are abit scratched up) and exterior aesthetics done up. then gonna move on to performance upgrades. do you suggest that i go down the BMW Performance route, or aftermarket? i prefer tried and proven formula of course.

as for the msport suspension part, do you think i should fiddle with it? do you think that the setup has been tuned to perfectly balance the car etc? i dont believe that this generation of 330ci has the 50-50 weight thingie right?

perryyip73: the workshops that you suggested, can i put the car there and let them have a 1 time check all as to the health of the car (absorber, engine compartment, shaft etc.)? i was hoping to land on a shop that i could hand the car over for a complete thorough check rather than a few workshops. also, i will need a permanent workshop to perform interval service. hopefully can get a friendly workshop with great service attitude.

gosh, have to learn all over for a car......

and so, my car is finally here. i am happy overall, but there are a number of depression scenes which i couldnt stand seeing. would appreaciate if sifu-sifu here can shed some light.

first of, is some wind noise that i found in coming in near the side mirror area. after further checking, i noticed that the window seal is abit weird looking. can i check with the coupe owners that if this rubber shape is normal or not?

you can see that there is a small gap in between the rubber and the outer frame.
W2.jpg

Some depressing shots that i found
D1.jpg

D2.jpg

D3.jpg

D4.jpg

D5.jpg

D6.jpg

you'll probably need to address a bunch of leaks.. gaskets, seals, hoses etc. also check the water hoses below the inlet manifold. for a peace of mind, replace the radiator and expansion tank as well.

whats ya car colour ...looks like estoril blue ... nice ...post a full pictures of ya ride ...

mizhan;578155 said:
you'll probably need to address a bunch of leaks.. gaskets, seals, hoses etc. also check the water hoses below the inlet manifold. for a peace of mind, replace the radiator and expansion tank as well.

should i do it at a 3rd party workshop, or have it send to bmw?

MyBimmer;578172 said:
Suggestion: Do the carbon fiber vinyl wrapping. look new and sporty again.

when u said wrapping, do you mean lamination? as far as i know, lamination is glossy. i am looking for more of a matte finish. any suggestion on where to visit for such service?

ICEMAN 13;578175 said:
whats ya car colour ...looks like estoril blue ... nice ...post a full pictures of ya ride ...

will do once i get off work later. its soooooo sexy =)

my interior is so full of noise, buzzing and creaks as if its gonna tear apart. eshhhhhhhh.

The astray, sunglass, coin area or any other plastic which are scratched can be repainted, the economical way out.

It's a common sight for E46.

most of the accessories shop do the wrapping. It is not the glossy type. in fact you can buy from "broxxxer" (1ftx4ft about RM30 and diy yourself). you can check the look at ebay. Just key in carbon fiber vinyl. You can also Youtube and find out how people wrap the side mirror and even the whole car.
The material is good and can last.

Welcome to the world of E46!

On the immediate parts to change on top of the recommended parts recommended by fellow enthusiasts earlier, you might want to consider replacing the expansion tank, water pump, water hoses, fuel filter and even the fuel pump as well. From time to time, I see cars stranded on the road because of overlooked worn-off/defective parts like these.

Nevertheless, have fun with you ride!

MyBimmer;578660 said:
most of the accessories shop do the wrapping. It is not the glossy type. in fact you can buy from "broxxxer" (1ftx4ft about RM30 and diy yourself). you can check the look at ebay. Just key in carbon fiber vinyl. You can also Youtube and find out how people wrap the side mirror and even the whole car.
The material is good and can last.

noted! will check it out to see if it suits my preference!

cloudbuster;578666 said:
Welcome to the world of E46!

On the immediate parts to change on top of the recommended parts recommended by fellow enthusiasts earlier, you might want to consider replacing the expansion tank, water pump, water hoses, fuel filter and even the fuel pump as well. From time to time, I see cars stranded on the road because of overlooked worn-off/defective parts like these.

Nevertheless, have fun with you ride!

noted on the parts to check! prolly will mention to the mechs to do a thorough check. this car is reaching 100km very soon. major maintenance i guess. is there a guide/anything that says kind of inspections is required when the car clocks 100km?

prologue!

a preview....
R1.jpg

car came with these tints. should i match back the rear?
R2.jpg

Top Bottom