signal not function

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
OK for those who want to know a bit more detail of the signal light.

here is the wiring diagram for an E36 but i think the E30 should be the same..

headlight.jpg

There are 2 fuses use for the signal lamp.

1. Fuse F34 - 15A is used for all the lamps
2. Fuse F23 - 5A is use for the control module ( Hazard/Flasher relay) shall be refer as "HFR"

The HFR control the flashing, hazard light via 2 nos of switching relays.

There are 3 input controls feed into the HFR.
1. Left turn signal
2. Right turn signal
3. Hazard signal.

So this means the following.

if your hazards light works, this means that the 2 switching relays is functioning.

If your hazards light dont work, this means that your fuse F34 or F23 or your hazard switch is broken.

If your hazards light work and one of your signal light dont work, then...
1. bulb blown
2. left or right turn switch is faulty
3. loose connection or wiring problem.

Sometime the HFR is the culprit.

note. all the light must be check at the same time.. i.e. instrument cluster, front signal light, rear signal light and front side signal light. Not all bulb burn at the same time.

Good Luck in your search for the problem..

Signal handle switch works fine, hazard light switch works fine. But upon connecting the relay... the right signals works but left doesnt, hazard light doesnt function upon engaging it. After a while the relay burns out. Arghh.. any good wire men to go to arund KL/ PJ area?

SimpleSoul;437709 said:
Signal handle switch works fine, hazard light switch works fine. But upon connecting the relay... the right signals works but left doesnt, hazard light doesnt function upon engaging it. After a while the relay burns out. Arghh.. any good wire men to go to arund KL/ PJ area?

Sorry, didnt have time to reply your PM. Anyway since you posted here, I will try to help you.

1. How do you mean when you mention the signal handle switch work fine when your relay is not plug in.
2. there are two relay for the hazard/flasher module. Which one of the relay keep burning? Left or right relay?
3. What is your rating of your fuse?
4. You mention that the right signal work well. Does this mean that you can continuously keep the right flashing without burning the relay.
5. You mention that the left doesn't work when you push down the signal handle. How long exactly before the relay burn.
6. Which part of the relay got burn or damaged? A picture of the damage relay would be appreciate to determine the problem. Please show also the HFR module.
7. You mentioned that when you engage the left signal, did you mean that the left did not "flash" and when you engage the hazard, both the left and right light also did not flash?
8. What about when you engage the right signal light. I pressume it is OK. what about engage the right signal light and hazard switch ON?

Not promising if answering the question would help to solve the problem but hope to understand better.

Sorry cant help on the wireman recommendation cos I do most of the wiring checking myself.. :listen:

frenchy, Rasta is right.

You should go to wire man and get it checked. My problem arose recently and both signal lights failed. Only the hazard light was working. The fault lies in the hazard indicator itself, due to the wiring as its an old car. I got mine changed from a local wire man.

Not sure about other diagnostics, anyhow you should get it checked as I drove without indicators both left & right and it sure is dangerous.

Top Bottom