Shuddering during braking

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

CAJ19

Club Guest
My E34 never seems to be satisfied with my mechanics fiddling her every now and then.Car vibrates at 80 -90 is a norm to me now.However, new problem crops-up recently. Everytime I hit the brakes gently, I could feel and hear the brakes shudcering even at 30kmh!!! I know the ABS was activated, BUT why???? when the road is dry and I'm only doing 30+++kmh????? After awhile, the ABS warning light lits up. Then, the driving is smooth even during hard braking. The problem repeats when I turned the ignition off, and restart again. The whole sequence repeats. Damnnn.... Feels like getting rid of this stupid bitch!!! Already spent a fortune giving her a make-over and pampering her.This happens after I've changed the right wheel bearing. Guess my mechanic did not screw her well enuf....!!!!!!Sifus, Please help me before I dump her....l..Am getting sick and tired of her bloooody attitude.l :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :beaten: :beaten: :beaten: :beaten:

Do a modic check, maybe your wheel pulse sensor kaput already since u say that ur ABS lights up. ;)

ABS lights up only after hitting the brakes a couple of times. I'll do a modic check tis weekend. Thanks.

ABS activates when there is a difference in rotating speeds of the rotors......one possibility, the calipers are stuck when the pressure builds

brakes judderin because ABS is activated to maintain even brake pressure on all rotors, because it "senses" the rotational speeds of rotors are uneven=brakes lockup

did your mechnic re-adjusted caliper setting=bleeding?

another possibility the right side pads not gripping as firm as the others since it was the only one that was removed......or otherwise

if the ABS lits up, there could be a fault in pressure or components

-modic check and bleed the brakes if possible

Yes. Its staggered, but I do not have this problem before. It starts only after I changed the wheel bearings. Did a modic check today. Nothing wrong with the electronics. uuuummmmmppppphhhh!!!!!

Hi my E28 had the same problem before, it was a broken ABS sensor wire that became on and off during normal driving, after I redid the wiring it works fine, only problem is isolating which sensor wire is broken. How I traced mine was gently stretching the ABS sensor wires as the insulation is quite soft, when you hit the broken section of wire it will stretch the insulation. Normally happens at the part where it moves alot in the wheel well.

Hope this tip helps.

Regards.

AlpinaB9

Originally posted by AlpinaB9@Mar 4 2006, 12:15 AM
Hi my E28 had the same problem before, it was a broken ABS sensor wire that became on and off during normal driving, after I redid the wiring it works fine, only problem is isolating which sensor wire is broken. How I traced mine was gently stretching the ABS sensor wires as the insulation is quite soft, when you hit the broken section of wire it will stretch the insulation. Normally happens at the part where it moves alot in the wheel well.

Hope this tip helps.

Regards.

AlpinaB9
looks like fault may have arised from the sensor itself....

mr tan,
try and get the sensor re-aligned, and check wires as AlpinaB9 sugggested

when the ABS lits up there is a failsafe system that deactivates the ABS pump, but braking will be normal, just that your car will not have an ABS system on......

ABS lites up only after 30kmph when the system does a complete self -diagnosis.hopefully your sensor was not screwed up while the front bearing was removed/installed, as it has to be removed first before installation of the bearings, same goes for the rear.....

I almost forgot, when I changed my front wheel bearings I noticed my new bearings with the ABS toothed wheel was not well aligned to the sensor (i.e. not tottally in line) so I used a vice and gently tapped the ring in to better alignment, just wondering if you may have the same problem and the sensor is unable to read the pulses.

AlpinaB9

Top Bottom