Shock Absorbers (E34)

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ehoe

Club Guest
Is there anyway to check if a absorber is worn out and in need of replacement besides the 'push test' whereby you push the absorber down and the car should only bounce once to return to its normal position?. My E34 front right absorber seems to have this scraping noise when I am going over bumps at a 45 degree angle. But the funny this is it only happen when I go over a bump or incline at an angle, if I drive straight onto the bump, there is no noise. Have checked the suspension components (i.e upper & lower arm, bushings, tie rod, etc) and all seems ok so I suspect could be the absorber. Anyone come across this symtoms before?.TIA... to all the sifu's.

Any chance it is scrapping the tyres when you are going over the bump at an angle ?

The below are from www.bmwe34.net :

Shock absorber life varies but some typical signs that your shocks are due for replacement include:

• excessive oil or fluid is leaking from the shock,
• the front end of your vehicle "dives" excessively under braking,
• your Bmw E34 continues to "bob" up and down after you hit a bump or dip in the road,
• your Bmw E34 leans too much in the corners,

The commonly used technique "Bouncing the tires each corner" doesn't work on the E34!

• excessive oil or fluid is leaking from the shock,
*** Have checked and no visible signs of leaking oil

• the front end of your vehicle "dives" excessively under braking,
*** Again have tried this and vehicle seems to be ok, no diving

• your Bmw E34 continues to "bob" up and down after you hit a bump or dip in the road,
*** Nope not bobbing up and down.

• your Bmw E34 leans too much in the corners,
*** Again can't really feel that is leaning more than is normally is.

It may be my imagination but the ride height does seem slightly lower than normal (maybe ard 1 - 1.5 cm lower). Is that a sign of a worn absorber?. My presumption is that as the aborber is worn, the spring rate is lower so as a result ride height goes down since the springs are now taking more force since the absorber is not taking the full brunt of the load. Any comments?

Sudah check angin for the tyres? Just kidding. Quite hard to diagnose without more info. Let us know what rim size, & better still suspension system(spring & dampers) u r on. Else, can send ur car for suspension test @ zentrum.

Or..maybe its not the suspension system, once experienced sound coming from the rear and not the suspension but the brake pad need to change.

Originally posted by chaiks@Feb 16 2005, 05:45 AM
Sudah check angin for the tyres? Just kidding. Quite hard to diagnose without more info. Let us know what rim size, & better still suspension system(spring & dampers) u r on. Else, can send ur car for suspension test @ zentrum.

Or..maybe its not the suspension system, once experienced sound coming from the rear and not the suspension but the brake pad need to change.
I think I've confirm its the absorbers that is giving the problem. The tyre is actually rubbing against the fender when the wheels are turned at an angle going up slopes or humps. Obviously the damping rate of the absorber is weak so the tyre is hitting the fender. That is why I noticed that the ride hide is slightly lower than what it is normally. At first I thot it was my imagination then I had a friend look at my tire whilst I went over a hump and sure enough it was the tyre rubbing against the fender.

I've been using the same tire & rim (235/45/17) with Koni Sport Absorbers & Bilstein Springs for quite some time and never had this problem of rubbing the fenders. Anyway the Koni's are about due for a change, i think they are easily 4 - 5 years old already. Oh well time to go hunting for a new set of shocks. :huh:

Ehoe,

Just changed mine to KONIs .. Eh My spring is BMW Sport leh .. i thot Eibach ... So, not too lowered laa

Originally posted by 535i@Feb 17 2005, 07:15 AM
Ehoe,

Just changed mine to KONIs .. Eh My spring is BMW Sport leh .. i thot Eibach ... So, not too lowered laa
Hi 535i

Did you change to the Koni Sport shocks?. How much did they cost ya and where did you source them from.

I'm trying to source for mine from SG, its at least 50% cheaper than KL from what I've found out so far.

What are the other wear and tear components that should be changed at the same time as changing the shocks?. TIA.

I've tried SG as well .... but ended up buying in KL. Too much hassle I guess ... Even went down to SG ( and got 3 tickets !!) to check things out.

I paid RM2.4K for 4 pieces and yes, its KONI Sport.

I've changed my mountings, bumper stops, dust cover. How much .. ? dunno ? Have not paid yet.

I did some asking around and here's are some prices i found out fr SG.

Front Koni Sport Absorbers in SG : RM760 (after converting) a pair
Rear Koni Sport Absorbers in SG : RM715 (after converting) a pair

in KL the same shocks cost :

Front Koni Sport Absorbers in KL : RM1500 a pair
Rear Koni Sport Absorbers in KL : RM1000 a pair

Thats a saving of over 1k. Hmm.... I guess thats more than justifies for the trip down to get them.

Originally posted by chaiks@Feb 18 2005, 10:51 AM
ehoe, how? solve the problem? Really the shock?

yup it was a really worn out front shocks, they started to leak oil already. Had them replaced and now ride is much better and no more scrapping of fenders. I must say my previous Koni's lasted pretty long, almost 5 yrs. :)

As your shocks age, their damping rate will decrease and gets softer over time so if you notice that your car's ride is getting lower and lower, have the shocks checked out if you notice this. Good luck.

Top Bottom