Savings during Petrol Fill-Up.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

dzuljazz2001

Official Member
With Petrol expected to reach $??? :stupid: per litre by end of 2011, these tips that I received from a friend might come in handy. TIPS ON PUMPING PETROL My line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every Litre: Only buy or fill up your car in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the Petrol, when it gets warmer Petrol expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your litre is not exactly a litre. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the Petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. You should be pumping on low mode, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.One of the most important tips is to fill up when your Petrol tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is the more Petrol you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. Petrol storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the Petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations here, every truck that is loaded is temperature compensated so that every litre is actually the exact amount. Another reminder, if there is a Petrol truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy Petrol, DO NOT fill up; most likely the Petrol line is being stirred up as the Petrol is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Thanks for these useful information. just one part about refilling every time when petrol tank is half. which would means a lot more trip to pump petrol which is troublesome ( i would wish a tank require refil every 5k km or more, ha ha)

EL118;642022 said:
Thanks for these useful information. just one part about refilling every time when petrol tank is half. which would means a lot more trip to pump petrol which is troublesome ( i would wish a tank require refil every 5k km or more, ha ha)

How we wish we cud all hv tht eh :4: ...

EL118;642022 said:

How we wish we cud all hv tht eh :4: ...

Thanks for the tip :top:

But agreed la, pumping at half full is a tad too frequent. :biggrin:

enkil;642088 said:
Thanks for the tip. Diesel the same?

If you buy a diesel car, you don't need any fuel-saving tips..........cabutzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............

thank you..very useful tips.have been doing no 1 and 2..seldom fill up when half full, its always done when the fuel warning lights up..will give it a try.:wink:

docrayboy;642092 said:
If you buy a diesel car, you don't need any fuel-saving tips..........cabutzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............

Hahhaha.... you got me :)

enkil;642088 said:
Thanks for the tip. Diesel the same?

:listen:.... Like docrayboy says....when u r on diesel n drivng a udm like crazy, rempiting most of the time.... No need saving saving :4: ... Cabutzzzzz :vroam:

Eggie86;642025 said:
Thanks for the tip :top:

But agreed la, pumping at half full is a tad too frequent. :biggrin:

:listen: agreed bro especially if one is the travelling type, the very very fast type, yes its a bit if a tad :4: but if u are the tortoise type, to finish half a tank might take a week. Now, where can we find tortoise type driver driving a udm eh? :4:

I do try and respect the speed limit...but I get there as quickly as I can :biggrin:

..very useful for me, considering that my fuel tank behave like a drunk cow..

Becareful of what u read in the net... It may or may not have substance or just someone thinking outloud....

Take with a 'spoon' of salt...

I for one will pump petrol when it's cool, when possible, not bcos I believed the fuel expands that significantly when it's hot.. more bcos it's more comfortable pumping petrol without the scorching heat from the sun. Oso I feel there's less fume escaping from ur own car's fuel tank due to the foaming inside the tank.

As for the nozzle speed, I guess it was quoting the Bernoulli's principle that higher fluid speed will generate a low pressure region which may lead to bubbling... While the principle is correct but how does it explain for the fuel nozzle? where is the region of low pressure in the system? Where does the bubbling happen?
If u ask me, i'll take the beer pouring technique as analogy... The faster (or rougher) the flow into the glass, the more foam were made due to the churning... :p Pour it smoothly into the glass, and there is less foam... I guess u guys get my drift... ;)

Pumping half tank is not practical and in the first place, was his theory proven to be true???

And please do not run until the tank is dry before refueling.... Cos your in-tank fuel pump is cooled when it's submerged in the fuel.. And it will heat up unnecessarily when the fuel level is too low... And heat is bad for any motor, it will lead to premature failure. I know the E30 fuel pump has a foam sleeve which soaks up fuel and then the fuel evaporates when it soaks up the heat from the pump, which consequently cools it. In other words, the fuel works as a heat exchanger agent for the pump.

And for the 'don't pump when the fuel tank truck is reloading', it may have some truth.. But actually if the station is always full with cars pumping, the tendency for the sediment is actually lesser. Cos the fuel has no time to rest before being pumped up.. hahaha... Also, don't u think the underground tank would have a filter at the pump??? I assumed there is a filter, but whether it is serviced or replaced at a specified interval is another story.

Then again, it's just me thinking out loud on the 'tips' provided... I just don't believe everything I read online...

Top Bottom