S.o.S

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

rockonla

Club Guest
wussup guys, just need some advice on my E30 m40. Recently ive encountered that my steering rack is leaking and i was wondering if this can be fixed or any other alternative that i should consider? And in my cousin car (e30 m40 auto), the car felt a little bit lost of power (radio suddenly off, power window felt sluggish) and when the engine is switch off and start again the car wouldnt start!. the battery sign on the meter cluster was also off. There was a crank noise but he was unable to start the car again. Later that day, the car can be started like normal again (MAGIC!) :eek:.battery was checked and it was said to be fine. This is the first time it happened so anyone facing similar problem like his, please shed some light to it. thanks and sorry for the long questioning. cheerios! :top:

rockonla;344031 said:
.... Recently ive encountered that my steering rack is leaking and i was wondering if this can be fixed or any other alternative that i should consider? ....
1. if the rubber seal leak; than replace it (there is a repair kits for it)
2. if the metal part scratch/crack or whatever, better start looking around.

rockonla;344031 said:
.... And in my cousin car (e30 m40 auto), the car felt a little bit lost of power (radio suddenly off, power window felt sluggish) and when the engine is switch off and start again the car wouldnt start!. the battery sign on the meter cluster was also off. There was a crank noise but he was unable to start the car again. Later that day, the car can be started like normal again (MAGIC!) :eek:.battery was checked and it was said to be fine. This is the first time it happened so anyone facing similar problem like his, please shed some light to it. thanks and sorry for the long questioning. cheerios! :top:
1. maybe the alternator kaput already; cause the battery so good, it will regain the power after some period of time you didn't use it.

Had the same symptom, coil was replaced and checked, still the problem persists, called my mechanic today and he advised the problem resolved, the timing sensor was the culprit.

I will collect the car tomorrow and check it out!

e36/320ci/6

power steering rack can be service,just buy the service kit it come with a few pcs of oil seal.if u want the whole stearing to work in good codition 1st service back the rack,2nd change the hose,3rd change the power stearing oil container.i already did all the above mentioned & my power stearing working good.my previous ownner told me is normal all the e30 power stearing hose will drip oil when you park your car but i done above mentioned so far there is no oil drip.

This steering rack repair KIT..how much isit? any good place to recommend within subang or pj? Bro strider, is it possible for a battery to charge itself? alternator is the next thing to check eh? ok. i heard that timing sensor could be the problem..whats that? thanks...sorry yer..noob sini :)

or use as an excuse to change to e36 steering rack...quicker ratio...you won't regret it :top:

rockonla;344100 said:
This steering rack repair KIT..how much isit? any good place to recommend within subang or pj? Bro strider, is it possible for a battery to charge itself? alternator is the next thing to check eh? ok. i heard that timing sensor could be the problem..whats that? thanks...sorry yer..noob sini :)

Yes, if the battery still in good condition. the chemical reaction will regain back the power. If you have a multimeter and know how to use it, you can check the voltage of the battery while on idle and also w/o the engine running. if on idle there's no charging or less charging, then the alternator need to re-look further. normally it is the carbon brush of the alternator. the cost is not that much. or else let the workshop check it for you (your regular mechanic shouldn't charge for this service) If the crank is powerfull (as usual) then it is not the battery, it is other things.
timing sensor also could be the problem.
try this workshop, it is nearby your place:

WQW Mechanical and Services (001628480-H)
12-A, Jalan Industri USJ 1/12
Taman Perindustrian USJ 1
Subang Jaya
(603) 8024-8433 Wong

tell him i send you there

sometime repair kit alone wont do the job. I'd suggest u get the mech to dismantle the rack and check its condition. feel the inside of the metal housing...if it's already rough and uneven, dont bother with repair kit, just get a new one. but, buying a good used e30 rack would be a big challenge nowadays...e36 one wud be a better bet but with some modifications of course

the other problem, definitely the alternator

gud luck

thanks bros, this is really helpful for me. mr strider, il be sure to go and check the workshop that you recommended.

regarding the e36 rack, ive seen this around the web and its pretty popular in the states. anyone have done this conversion before? please share with me ur experience. Goooo E30!

ahh... yes, someone looking for me ?

this conversion will set you back around 1k to 1.2k based on secondhand parts. only applicable for m20 and M50 conversions.. as for the m40, the rack is too fat can't sit in the original hole at the subframe and it hits the oil sump.

i have the info for the conversion.. can email to those who wants..

pussy;344263 said:

this conversion will set you back around 1k to 1.2k based on secondhand parts. only applicable for m20 and M50 conversions.. as for the m40, the rack is too fat can't sit in the original hole at the subframe and it hits the oil sump.

1. gambar86@yahoo.co.uk

tq sifu......:top:

those this mean that e36 steering rack conversion cant be done on a m40? susahlah like this. Back to the drawing board then. Any other suggestion Mr pussy?

pussy;344263 said:

3. francis_kbchew@hotmail.com

Top Bottom