Run Flats - Cracks in between threads

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

dnhoh

Club Guest
Hi folks,Thought I would share my experience with Dunlop run flats (cant remember exact model) with my e60. They have 18k km on them.The car came with run flats and it didnt feel as bad as many have put it to be. Yes it is harder but only marginally so. Nothing I could live with. That was until I discovered a 2 inch crack in between the tyre thread on one of my tyres.Because of the crack I decided to change all four tyres. When I inspected the run flats after they were removed, I found multiple cracks of various sizes (nothing longer than the 2 inch crack) between the threads on different tyres! Bits of the run flats have also fallen off!! I would strongly advise everyone with run flats to inspect their tyres. I suspect that they may not be made for our weather hence the cracks.

Did you notice the manufacture date of your RFTs? Maybe they were already past the 4 years expiry date, hence causing the rubber to be very brittle?

Good point but unfortunately I didnt check. Regardless those with RFTs should double check their tyres as a safety measure.

No your really need to check the tyre pressure, to make sure the pressure is enough to travell.....The tyre will look normal even the pressure is less then actual.

Top Bottom