Rubber seal - Front shield

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

godflesh

Club Guest
Anyone here changed the rubber lining for the front windshield on an e36? I changed the rear rubber lining - DIY. Not sure if I can do the same for the front shield. Also, I suspect the rubber cement (?) is probably dried, brittle, cracked and falling apart. Any idea how much it would cost to remove the winshield, scrape all the gunk off and re-install? Who should I go to. Hope you guys can point me in the right direction. Cheers..!

Victor320 said:
Godflesh, can you give me some tips on how to change the rear windshield rubber lining?

Simple. Just rip the old one out.

Spray some clenaner (soap and water ok) in the groove between the car body and glass. Clean up all the debris and make sure no brittle / broken rubber left behind - use a toothbrush. Pick up the rubber lining from Bav Auto or any other shop of your choice.

Grease the rubber lining slighltly with silicone grease. Work from the lower section (left or right). Press it in - may require force in some areas and then work your way around the frame - pressing it in as you go around. That's all. Pretty simple.

Thanks! Sounds simple enough - reason I asked was that I thought it might be hard to put a new seal in without removing the entire rear windshield, or, if it was do-able, I'd have to bring the car to a windshield shop to do it for me.

Just want to confirm that the process you typed up works for both the seals on the rear windshield, as there are 2 pieces - one in the upside down U shape for top, left and right in one piece, and another piece just for the bottom?

Also, how much did you buy the seals for?

Cheers.

victor 320,

The seal that holds the rear glass is a different matter - don't mess with that!

U DONT need to remove the windshield to replace the rubber trim.

I only replaced the upside down "U" and left the lower trim in place as it was still in good condition.

Don't mess around with the glass and it's seal etc etc. Some of those jokers at the workshop might suggest removing the glass - in which case u should tell them to f*** off!

I picked up the rear "U" piece for RM120. - don't know if you can get it cheaper elsewhere.

Cheers godflesh - yup I was referring to the upside down U which has the two metal 'L' brackets on the top right and left corners.

Thanks for all the help! It's given me more confidence about tackling this job.

Guys....

While i drive past 130k/ph.. i can hear wind gushing sound.. is that something to do with the door rubbers? please advice ... shall i change it ? all or just the front doors.. does it worth?

cheers

that's what i'm experiencing - sound coming close to the rear-view mirror mounting - that's why suspect rubber seal / trim. Any thoughts???

shiva73 said:
Guys....

While i drive past 130k/ph.. i can hear wind gushing sound.. is that something to do with the door rubbers? please advice ... shall i change it ? all or just the front doors.. does it worth?

cheers

most likely.
change one by one la....start with the door where u think where it is loudest.

godflesh said:
that's what i'm experiencing - sound coming close to the rear-view mirror mounting - that's why suspect rubber seal / trim. Any thoughts???

is your window sitting and balanced with the door channel? :p

hi sesat88

-- dont really undertand your question. The sound of air comes from the top centre of the front windshield - close to the rear view mirror - not the wing mirrors near the door. that's why I suspect the rubber's worn out. Anyone care to comment.

godflesh said:
hi sesat88

-- dont really undertand your question. The sound of air comes from the top centre of the front windshield - close to the rear view mirror - not the wing mirrors near the door. that's why I suspect the rubber's worn out. Anyone care to comment.

aaah... the mystery unfolds.....look like u sprung a leak matey :eek:
but honestly ... things like this is like catching tikus.... unless u bring it to a mechanic which they will probably build a cage large enough for a hippo it. HAHAHAHAHAHA! cabutz........

Top Bottom