Reverse gear kicks!!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

gregcwho

Club Guest
Hi to all sifus...My E32 M30 4spd inline 6 91' 730iL gives me a fantastic kick (literally) when I engage it...happens all the time.Not sure what it might be...my mechanic says need to do overhaul of the gearbox as he suspects something broken inside....2nd opinion says do an ATF flush out 1st...Any sifus out there with reliable expertise on transmission problems and can offer 3rd..4th..or more opinions?BTW,the 1st to 4th gear changes are ok,only the reverse.Cheers...:)

That was what happened to mine too. Sorry to bring u bad news always.

I left it like that for at least 1-2 years. B4 that I flushed out the gearbox fluid/oil. Solved temporarily. I got a replacement only last Hari Raya. The symptoms got worst & my initial gear (1st/2nd) was out. I had to press the accelarator harder than usual after it remained stationary. WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!!

However, I still love it. Eventhou I just bot myself a Jap SUV in December 07, I still miss my e32, which is still being attended to. Now, putting in the new engine.

It's true, u need a deep pocket to maintain it. Me? Beg, steal or borrow lar....

Hi Shamoo700,

Many thanks for your replies in both my threads. Just out of curiosity, when your mechanic replaced Pitoscin with ATF,what prompted him to repair your LAD suspension? Was it leaking or problematic needing a look at it?

Also,what prompted you to change the 4.0 V8 to a 3.0 V8? Is the engine problematic?

Cheers,
Ho CW. :)

gregcwho;277112 said:
Hi to all sifus...

My E32 M30 4spd inline 6 91' 730iL gives me a fantastic kick (literally) when I engage it...happens all the time.

Not sure what it might be...my mechanic says need to do overhaul of the gearbox as he suspects something broken inside....2nd opinion says do an ATF flush out 1st...

Any sifus out there with reliable expertise on transmission problems and can offer 3rd..4th..or more opinions?

BTW,the 1st to 4th gear changes are ok,only the reverse.

Cheers...:)

If you can live with the "kick reverse" , leave it alone unless you can't move front........

Hi Iqlima,

Thanks for your opinion.

I would like to actually do pre-emptive management of the problem as I plan to use the car for out station drives...Don't think I want to be stuck in the middle of the highway with my family and the gearbox commits suicide then...certainly more 'parah' on your pocket for ?? quality of repair in wherever you're stuck,not to mention towing charges as well...:eek:

Having said that, anyone with contacts for expert transmission troubleshooting?

Cheers..:)

IT could be any of this, worn metal clutch plates, worn o-rings causing pressure leak and worn gear housing (which happened to me).

Its too late for pre-emptive measure as you are already witnessing the onset of what could be a potential gearbox failure. Perhaps a bottle of oil transmission conditioner would delay the inevitable. Try Wynn's.

Cheers

gregcwho, it was the leak. Especially when it levels up during ignition. I didn't send it back to there 1st mechanic obviously. My other 7 buddy told me if I can convert it into normal suspension system, the ride is going to be a lot softer. Eh? Probably runs the risk of rear bottoming with heavy loading.

When I bot it, it was already with the 3.0L downgraded engine. Now that I've bot a new one, I hope it will be as smooth. One thing I notice, over the years, fuel consumption elevated with engine problem.

I've sent my 7 for fixing b4 last Hari Raya. Still donno what is happening to it. Wish I cud get hold of it b4 CNY. bcoz of dat, I bot a harrier. Supposedly will let my wife drive the SUV, once I got my baby (7) back.

my 730iL 0s0 have gear problem.
The reverse gear need hard press on da accelerator to move the heavy iron horse bah. Other gears all k. will chk with some mechanic/s to see what happen.

Update on my gearbox...

AB did a diagnosis...Torque Convertor pressure low,..worn plates....suggested to do overhaul...

Am now looking for used gearbox KIV totally change engine as well (kena racun RB lah...)..ha ha ha...

Cheers :)

Yeap!

Symptom of gearbox/transmission problem.

Drip...Drip...Drip ..... your money dripping lah!

Hi all...

Update on gearbox....After considering the many possibilities,...decided to overhaul the entire gearbox as the cost was cheaper than getting a used gearbox.

Cost me about RM1.5K in total for overhaul + parts alone, and another RM600 for mechanic to drop & reinstall the gearbox..(overhaul done by another guy not the mechanic)...

So far I'm quite happy with the results...gear changes are very much smoother now with the reverse kick gone. Had a run up to Penang with the many gear changes doing Penang traffic as well...no problems what so ever...

Anybody wants the contact of this guy who does the overhaul can PM me.He normally charges labour with you getting your own parts but in my case I asked him to get the parts as well and bill me.The parts he got were original ZF parts from Bavaria Auto Segambut...Anyway his place is in Ulu Klang...just call him and he will give you quotation.Fast service as well...he did my gearbox up in 3 days...

Cheers...:)

skbmw730il;305975 said:
Oh! Can I have the contact to obahol da ma gearpox 0s0? rgds mate..

Hi skbmw730iL,

PMed you the contact number...well I leave it to you how to transport the whole gearbox from Sabah to KL...:D

BTW,I guess you are in Sandakan?

Cheers :)

My E32 4 speed box also got reverse-kick problem but if I shift from 'D' to 'N' wait about 3 sec than to 'R' than no problem; is this the normal symtoms of an aged box or maybe goin to 'tapau'. Other forward gears are all in fine condition. Maybe I try change ATF first and see any difference.

Top Bottom