Reconditioning a noisy alternator for a 04 330ci

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Club Guest
I've noticed the appearance of a rough grinding noise at idle which I had thought was from the serpentine belt and pulleys, however after a diagnosis, the noise was identified to be emanating from the alternator. Almost sounds like a bunch of horny frogs on a rainy night.Given the car has only run 60k km, this is quite surprising as alternators rarely fail so soon. However what I'd like to know is if anyone here has reconditioned their alternator? I suspect it's the bearings that are gone and rather than replace the whole unit, which most shops would do, I am keen to recon the unit. I suspect outright replacement will be very costly (any ideas?) while a recon job should be more reasonable.Appreciate any suggestions or advice from you Sifus, thanks in advance.

if you could somehow get the alternator unit off the car, i suggest you take it to TNT recon sunway tel: 5634 2123 (they are few doors away from the everco shop) for a rebuild.

there they would replace whatever is shot in yr unit and do a load test. they also have replacement units if you want to just swap. there maybe other recon shops around but this is the one i go to.

Thanks tropos, this is invaluable information! Thanks so much for replying to my question.

I had my alternator reconditioned by TNT 2 years back. So far so good...

I cant remember the exact amount. If not mistaken, in the region of 300 - 400

Top Bottom