rear tail light problem

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

jims2005

Club Guest
halo,anyone here knows what and where to check if the overall rear left tail light (initial light "ON" as well as braking) is dimmer compared to the rear right. I have swapped (left right) the bulbs and all 4 bulbs are ok.The part on the trunk is ok for both sides. they are equally bright as the rear right tail light.thanks in advance for your inputs...

Definitely contact. Check the contact between bulb and bulb holder and also connector between wire and light housing.

or else if you have multimeter, check the voltage at each of the bulb holder and the connector mention before.

by the way, this is for which model (your car)

good luck

Thanks Strider. mine is E46 post face-lift model. will try that tonight.

btw, this model only comes with right rear fog light. Is there any possiblity to install additional one on the left too? any retrofit possible?

fuad4;313109 said:
I believe it was meant to be that way because it would be dangerous for you to drive in the rain with the rear fog light"s" on (both lit up=you pressing the brakes!).

Fuad4
you can retrofit it, but the rear fog light its meant to be one sided only, maybe is like what faud4 mention

Problem Fixed!

Ok guys. Problem fixed.:wavey:

Looks like the plastic socket is not able to handle the heat from PIN#2.

Here's the fix:
1. unplug the wire (Pin#2) out from the socket. Bypass it!!!
2. Re-connect at anywhere on to the ground metal strip. (Pls use a multimeter to confirm that it is the ground plane!!!

Additional info:
3. Managed to retrofit the left rear fog light. Original only on the right one. :top:

jims2005;315619 said:
Ok guys. Problem fixed.:wavey:

Looks like the plastic socket is not able to handle the heat from PIN#2.

Here's the fix:
1. unplug the wire (Pin#2) out from the socket. Bypass it!!!
2. Re-connect at anywhere on to the ground metal strip. (Pls use a multimeter to confirm that it is the ground plane!!!

Additional info:
3. Managed to retrofit the left rear fog light. Original only on the right one. :top:
i had the same problem, the plastic socket holding the bulb basically melted because of the heat. luckily it was under warranty and they change the whole set of light for me. till now, no problem, i think they did like what u mention above

Top Bottom