Proton Persona

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
and Proton is expecting this car to reel then back from the red zone?

FALSE HOPES.

1+2=3;240386 said:
the wira sold overseas was called persona, not pesona.

i think its a good move for proton because they been trying to do so many stupid things in the past that didnt work, its good that keep it simple this time.. practical, 4 doors, with a 430litre boot, thats freakin larger than the useless boot in my E36..

a bread and butter car, at the price, 1.6 litres.. will definitely sell well.

remember guys, toyota made lots of money selling boring unattractive 'fridges'.. but that didnt stop them becoming world no.1.

I wanna be like you when I grow old..:rock:
Even Proton is being branded so badly here. But 1+2=3 kid is right. :rock: Toyota oso got so many variant model....I remember Jeremy Clarkson says Toyota is souless car. But it didnt stop them from becoming world No1.

Okay...1+2=3...
Now that I help you tok tok..any chance of you sweet talking the R3 guys to sell me the R3 track car cheap cheap ah?:burnout:

Actually the Gen2 and Neo aren't really bad cars.

But the damage has already been done and its very tough to reverse all the negative publicity Proton has generated all these years via the inferior products they have shoved into every Msian home.

Yes, Toyota is an unexcited brand and some models that drive like a lemon. But its brand name is synonymous with RELIABILITY and HIGH RESALE VALUE. Thats what buyers in this price market want!

A person buying a WAJA is not interested if it has Lotus Designed Suspension or an engine that peaks at the higher power band, he/she is more concerned about fuel consumption, maintenance costs and resale value after 9 years.:burnout: Too bad, Proton got it all mixed up.

Cheers.

on an embarassing scenario last week, i walked in a crowded proton showroom in jln222 searching high n low for the new car until i noticed a Gen2 carrying a diff badge behind saying PERSONA.

but yeah, its a modern looking sedan to replace the ageing wiras.

Step 1: take all the unsold Gen2's lying in Glenmarie
Step 2: masuk kilang, remove rear end from chasis
Step 3: add new rear end and some goodies
Step 4: recycle old name for current use
Step 5: Ta-da!! The Persona is born.

We truly are a country that thrives on 'recycling'. Syabas Malaysia!

jagmalhi;241763 said:
Step 1: take all the unsold Gen2's lying in Glenmarie
Step 2: masuk kilang, remove rear end from chasis
Step 3: add new rear end and some goodies
Step 4: recycle old name for current use
Step 5: Ta-da!! The Persona is born.

We truly are a country that thrives on 'recycling'. Syabas Malaysia!

if only it were as simple as this. i'd like to see you try.
as unexciting as the car may appear, i wouldn't be too hard on proton considering it's a bread a butter car the company is trying to sell. at least this time, they have produced a safe and practical model - nothing too eccentric - and more importantly, a car that appeals to the masses. it's a more widely acceptable model therefore making it sellable well at least, according to the number of bookings received so far. this is something that was missing from models like the satria neo and gen2 which were conceptualised from the onset as sporty models. the savvy of course is an affordable run around vehicle but was also designed with a touch of sportiness.
so long as quality does not come into question in the persona, it should be a good fresh start for proton having come from the bottom of the barrel in recent years.

Try getting cars from china they are worst look at alado now looking for aladin lamp. I think ours are much more better of.

redbaron;241975 said:
Try getting cars from china they are worst look at alado now looking for aladin lamp. I think ours are much more better of.

dude, check out paultan's blog. the new honda accord looks very similar to the e60. darn japs!

In my opinion the Persona can do well here if all the quality issues of the previous models have been attended to. It has a decent look, mid-size family saloon, improved gear ratios (compared to Gen2), good handling and even has a glove box. I've been using a 1.6(A) Neo for the last 4 months and have to report that the quality level of this car has improved very much compared to the older proton models. Of course there are some minor faults but I was quite surprised that its quite well built. Handling and roadholding of the Neo is just superb, and surprisingly although it has firm suspension but it soaks up bumps quite well. This is a car with GTi handling but unfortunately the engine isnt. This chassis could easily handle more power. So for full spec Neo at RM55k its real value for your money.

The Persona I expect should have far better build quality compared to Gen2. At RM45k it sure is good value for money for a 1.6

Fireblade, you are right, the Neo needs a 1.6 VTEC! I agree the handling is superb. Give it a VTEC or a 1.8T audi engine or 1.6 MCS engine and it will be give any hot hatch a run for its money (but it still won't sell in Europe and Australia because of the height limitation).

They should come up with a supercharged or turbocharged version of Campro to get around that awful torque curve.

Fireblade;242167 said:
In my opinion the Persona can do well here if all the quality issues of the previous models have been attended to. It has a decent look, mid-size family saloon, improved gear ratios (compared to Gen2), good handling and even has a glove box. I've been using a 1.6(A) Neo for the last 4 months and have to report that the quality level of this car has improved very much compared to the older proton models. Of course there are some minor faults but I was quite surprised that its quite well built. Handling and roadholding of the Neo is just superb, and surprisingly although it has firm suspension but it soaks up bumps quite well. This is a car with GTi handling but unfortunately the engine isnt. This chassis could easily handle more power. So for full spec Neo at RM55k its real value for your money.

The Persona I expect should have far better build quality compared to Gen2. At RM45k it sure is good value for money for a 1.6

Fully agree with Fireblade. I think Persona is real value for money! Give it a chance and lets see the sales chart in 6 months time!

There is already news report the Persona has 8,000 units booked since the launch about a week ago.......

I think proton persona launching to get Hari Raya market. But they have to fight with new Nissan Latio, Civic Type-R and also Mitsubishi Lancer GT

but those cars are aimed at a totally different market and price bracket

acidburn;242530 said:
I think proton persona launching to get Hari Raya market. But they have to fight with new Nissan Latio, Civic Type-R and also Mitsubishi Lancer GT

Yes Daniel is correct, we cant compare the the Persona to the Civic type R and the Mitsuibishi Lancer Sport. In all honesty if Proton has gotten all their shit sorted with the Persona, then I think its a damn worthy car to buy. Its nice looking and its a lot better then the Vios and the City... well not for the fuel consumption tho'.... Nothing beats the City when it comes to becoming the most fuel efficient car.

1+2=3;243693 said:
persona bookings over 12,000 today.

Should they have launched the persona before the Gen2? From other sales figures like the Nissan Latio, most buyers prefer the sedan (what a boring lot!)

Top Bottom