PowerFlex Bushings for E34

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

kws

Club Guest
Dear E34 owners,I thought i'd share something with my fellow forumers.I recently installed a set of PowerFlex poly bushings for:1) Front Upper Control arms2) Rear Lower Control arms2) Rear Subframe BushingsFindings:1) Initial Turn-In is MUCH sharper. 2) Rear of the car feels so much more planted during kickdowns, especially midcorner. 3) Overall chassis feedback has improved. Car really tells u where its going4) Ride Quality is more solid especially over bumps and uneven roads You can feel the car soaking up all the uneven bits. Conclusion:Rear Subframe BushWhen comparing stock rubber bush and the powerflex, the stock one has gaps which allow for lateral movement (must be to reduce harshness) whilst the powerflex is completely solid and sits flush between the subframe & chassis and mounting plate with zero lateral play.Initially i thought i'd have more vibration & harshness being transmitted from the rear wheels to the chassis. But surprisingly this was not the case -Instead, the rear feels more solid & composed when going over bumps - Must be less subframe movement and more work for the suspensionFront Control Arm BushAgain, when comparing the stock rubber bush and the powerflex, the stock polyflex is actually larger and literally fills the gap between the arm and the mounting eliminating any free play during hard braking or cornering. Like the rear, the front feels more composed over bumps and undulations. The steering feedback is truly amazing as i can really feel what the front & back are doing which in turn means its much easier to set the car up for a corner.Overall, i'm very happy with the handling improvement for my old bird. In retrospect, I always thought that i'd end up with a harsher ride due the inherent nature of solid bushes. But in my case even with the 18inch wheels - all seems pretty composed.The question is......let's see how long it lasts! :)

great review .

i always wanted to change to the PU bushing but worried about the "harshness" supposedly when using such bushing compare to the stock rubber type.

Now after reading your review , I too wants the result from your upgrade.

Thanks for sharing . :D

wHERE to get those stuft? what the cost? Do they do the instalation as well? Thanks in advance....

I got it from one of the two local distributors as listed in the website.

www.powerflex.co.uk

The guy i got it from:

Major Annuar
019-3358338
labahx@hotmail.com

I suggest you do some research on the website first for your car.

Price: Its almost RM1k for the full set of bushings (excluding antirollbarbush)

Installation: Done at M-Power Taman Mayang but i did other things like engine mounts so the labour is differently priced.

As for procedure,

Front Bushes :

These need to be hydraulicly pressed out for the upper control arm
The lower control arm can be hand press fit.
*check your balljoints just incase so u dont end up fitting good bushes to dead ball joints on the control arms.

Rear Bushes:

Lots of work. Rear subframe has to be dropped to allow the special tool to be fitted to remove the bushings. Once again removal is difficult but fitting of new bushings is easy. Press Fit.

Question? what was the condition of your old bushes? This is releveant as it would affect how good you feel the powerflex bushes are right?

Personally I'm skeptical of PU for 4 reasons.

1) there is almost aways a compromise between feel and harshness/vibration...
2) BMW with the Zillions they spend of R&D and close to no compromize cost on their M-series cars STILL don't use PU on bushes for their highest perf sedans!! - neither does Porsche, Ferrari or Lotus? - could it be the cost deterring them - doubt it at US200 a set of bushes!!
3) I have tried PU on my Saab Turbo and it was horrid...
4) most others have told me the same for any PU bush they tried incl the Powerflex for Alfas..

not doubting you..but just wanna get down to the facts :blush:

Okay - Here goes...

*Disclaimer - I not making any money from dis powerflex bushing review wan....i just write what i feel and it is completely unbiased wan...if i dun like i dun write good thing wan okey leddis & genteels?

1) My old bushes were in perfect running condition. Not torn or deformed in any way. I changed these to powerflex solid bushes simply because i didnt quite like the sloppy feel of the rear when on & off power through corners. (i enjoy a good handeringgg carr - yes i spelt it as handeringgg kakakka)

2) BMW do spend millions on their cars

I guess to each his own :) PU will definitely last longer than rubber. Possibly BMW made it from rubber as with a lifespan of 5-7 years rubber last quite well.

Actually changing to harder bushings definitely will make the car "feel" more connected as there is less dampening / isolation between the road and you. I guess it just what you are desire - " one man's meat anothers poison etc".

Personally I feel the e34 has near optimal isolation/feel compromise but I would like a slightly sharper turn in so may be tempeted to try so new PU bushings.

Top Bottom