Power loss

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

JLopez

Club Guest
Hey everyone, Just a question, am sending my E34 520 single vanos in for a cehck next week, before that however would like to find out something. I have been experiencing sudden power loss after long driving, or after being stuck in a jam for a long time. Basicly what happens is that the car will just lose power, when I press on the accelerator, the engine sounds like it is struggling to rev. What I have to do is stop the car and let it cool down for about 10 minutes then restart. After that no problems. The engine will run as per normal. Anyone experience the same thing? Feedback really appreciated, thanks in advance all.

Thank for the feedback guys. Well actually, the engine does overheat when I start it up, but just have to rev a little and the temp comes back down to normal. I suspect its an electrical problem, maybe one of the sensors. Will be doin a diagnostic check next week.

did you check your exhaust ? Mine's 95 E34 Auto 24V. Got the muffler cut open replaced all the rusty parts and filled with a special fiber and soldered it back. Power's increased and smoother than when i bought it 3 weeks ago. Seems all mufflers after 10 years or less have all parts corroded inside. Wonder if this helps.

GT-E34, do you mean the fan clutch? I have changed it.

Chase, what did you have done to the exhaust, mind giving me more details?

If on idle the temp rises and when you drive the temp falls, it means you may have insufficient water running through your entire cooling system. Reving means your water pump runs faster and trys to channel your water through the whole cooling system. Before you conclude it as electricall, try and bleed your cooling system, change your thermostat (if its old, it can cease up and open half way) and just make sure there is no leakage and a minor head gasket leak. Anyways, i think its too hard to diagnose something like your problem by just merely explaining it. Too many possibilities.

Top Bottom