PDA phone - O2 or Dopod??

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

tumbleweed

Club Guest
Hi all,I've been using my trusty old HP Ipaq PDA for a while now and it looks like it's time to change as it keeps hanging often.So I was toying with the idea of a PDA phone. Anyone got any recomendations? I don't need a really high end one. Just an above average one will do. However, I am spoilt with the large 3.5" display with my Ipaq and I can't imagine going back to a smaller 2.7" screen. However, I may just have to live with the smaller screen as I haven't came across any PDA phones with 3.5" screens.So anyone can steer me in the right direction as to what to look for when shopping for a PDA phone? It seems like Dopod and O2 are the more popular ones. Those gadget gurus out there, any suggestions?Thanks guys. Later...

May I suggest ASUS P535

PDA WM5, Good batt life, GPS, GPRS, WIFI, Bluetooth, nice clear bright LCD and good looking too

Best price now..

DOPOD 810 is superb too but pricy

Try getting those dopod OEM ones from germany or japan. They are from dopod (or HTC to be precise) but rebrand locally in those country. Cheaper than the original one by a few hundred bucks.

Warranty is the same as the ori ones, i.e. 1 year. But by the shop instead of SIS.

both has the same base..o2 n dopod uses the same platform
the only differences is the warranty and after sales service..
which offer the best

o2 .. i like it coz mine has lasted 5 years and counting.. batt just like new

General consensus is that O2 provides a better CPU option, but are more pricey. Dopod is much more aggressive here in Malaysia, with more promos and cheaper and more new models. However, they have a poor reputation for making durable long lasting phones in comparison to the Nokias, SE's, Motorolas etc.

Then again, durability is not a key design criteria, as the PDA phones are superceeded frequently by newer OSes and hardware, encouraging you to upgrade in 1-2 years max.

Thanks for your responses guys. Appreciate them.

Well, guess I may go either way between Dopod And O2. I'll also check out the Asus as one of you suggested.

Ok, now which model for both Dopod and O2?? Suggestions? Just an above average model with a little room to grow will be acceptable. Perhaps a large memory would be a priority as I store quite a bit of "junk" in my PDA! And a reasonably "fast" processor would be a plus.

I am using a Dopod U1000 now. Its probably my 15th different devise (I think, I may have lost count). 5inch screen ensures your Mapking on GPS is bright, clear and large. But it is admittedly big for me to carry around for my everyday use & to chuck in all sorts of data. I would consider the best unit a Dopod 900 - you can probably pick up a new one for just under RM3,000. It is an old model (2005) and my not be easioly available new. I sold mine for RM1,800 3 months ago. 3.5inch screen, great keyboard, the works. Maybe you would like to pick a second-hand good unit up and use it for a couple of years or more. Search www.mypdacafe.com for pre-owned ones for sale.

I was using a Dopod 900 engineering sample a year plus back for a month as a trial loaner unit. It was too heavy and cumbersome to use for regular phone usage. The screen and keypad was only good for push emails with Exchange activesync... and the flip screen option was too confusing to use. Takes at least 3-5 days to get used to it. If you put it in your pocket wearing shorts.. your shorts will fall off when u start running LOL.

While it didnt get stellar reviews, a few HTC Touch users have been quite pleased with their device. Slim, trendy, copycat iPhone multitouch but a bit slow. Can check it out.

INNOVATOR;241785 said:
I am using a Dopod U1000 now. Its probably my 15th different devise (I think, I may have lost count). 5inch screen ensures your Mapking on GPS is bright, clear and large. But it is admittedly big for me to carry around for my everyday use & to chuck in all sorts of data. I would consider the best unit a Dopod 900 - you can probably pick up a new one for just under RM3,000. It is an old model (2005) and my not be easioly available new. I sold mine for RM1,800 3 months ago. 3.5inch screen, great keyboard, the works. Maybe you would like to pick a second-hand good unit up and use it for a couple of years or more. Search www.mypdacafe.com for pre-owned ones for sale.

I find the U1000 too large for my liking. Like you said, it's not one which I will carry around everyday. Dopod 900 may be a very versatile unit but it is way beyond my budget.

I think the O2 atom life is a better deal compared to dopod d810 if and only if GPS is not important to you. Both of these are going for the same price in HK (about rm2170), dunno abt prices in KL though. However dopod's offer comes with some goodies like headset and 2G memory card. Both looks similar in size and design + runs on WM6.0 . HTC (new owners of dopod) also offers some good looking and reliable PDAs and they are cheaper too.

Top Bottom