overheat

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

farequee30

Club Guest
hi guys..my car bmw e34 m20b20 got some overheat problem...when i drive without on air cond, my temp is good around 75 to 80 celcius..but when i on my AC the temp got high during hispeed and stand still @ traffic lite (jem)..can ur guys give me some advice..fan clucth,aux fan seems to normal

as of what you have stated above is fine, i shall proceed with the list below;

bleed your radiator.. get rid of the air bubbles. then check the coolant level from time to time, see whether it's losing water too much. if it's losing too much, check for signs of leakage. if there's no visible sign of leakage, proceed with compression test, to check whether you have a crack cylinder head (this is big trouble if left uncured for a long time) because water is sipping into your engine

but if i were you, i'd go straight to compression test, so that i can identify the worst first. if it is a crack cylinder head, the longer you wait to test this and that, the detrimental it is to your engine.

farequee30;739902 said:
hi guys..my car bmw e34 m20b20 got some overheat problem...when i drive without on air cond, my temp is good around 75 to 80 celcius..but when i on my AC the temp got high during hispeed and stand still @ traffic lite (jem)..can ur guys give me some advice..fan clucth,aux fan seems to normal

First thing first, did you check your fan clutch? Did you hear the fan noise during hot traffic jam afternoon (and you will feel the engine is less powerful)? If not, then your fan clutch out.

Secondly, did you check your auxiliary fan? You can see the fan from the front kidney grill. When switching on the A/C, the fan should turn at low speed, when the ambient temperature is very hot, the fan will turn faster and you will hear a different fan noise (like mercedes 124 / peugeot 406 electric fan noise). When thing really gets hot, even you don't switch on the A/C, the auxiliary fan will still be turned on automatically.

If confirmed both are doing good, then is your thermostat working normal? It should be opened when certain temperature reached (depending on the thermostat temp. that you use), if it's not working, then the engine won't have sufficient cooler after running for a while.

Top Bottom