Over 200km/h

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

maco5007

Club Guest
Guys,Recently on my trip to Brunei to service my car, i maintained the above said speed (p/s: for legal purposes, its theoretical... :D ), and i noticed that the car swayed a little bit while on an even straight road.Wonder what can be done to minimise it and increase high speed stability.FYI, my 1996 e36 328i is still using the original body kit, shod with Michellin Pilot sport 2 rubbers rolling on 18", supported by standard shocks and springs, held together by standard brakes...(i know, i know...wont be doing it again...hehehe..well maybe limit it to 170)Thinking of going towards:1. M3 bodykit with carbon fibre rear roof air spoiler2. Stainless steel brake hose with Super blue brake fluid3. Slotted front rotor discs with Mintex pads4. Eibach springs on stock absobers5. Front strut bar6. BBTBWill the above do the trick? Or is there anything else that i need to add?Oh, btw where SPECIFICALLY in KL can i find them? :dunno: Can anyone bring me shopping? B)

Describe "sway" and the road condition?

At that "theoretical" speed, a good bodykit will help keep the car planted. It works best with a combination of a good suspension set. Struts are effective on track where hard cornerings are the order of the day. If you frequently do high speed straights, dont bother.

:) hey Maco..why not try a set of Eibachs first.that i think shud do the trick..optionally u cud go for M3 bodykit but don't forget the front splitter.that shud give u some downforce thus increasing stability..theoretically!!!

Maco Dude ,

What u have is already a very nice car.... awesome engine the 328i ..... gobs of torque.

My 2 cents..... best money spent - get the suspension sorted!! Sports shocks, springs, anti roll bars..... brands? bilsteins, eibach, koni, H&R, KW etc. Stick with quality kit and you wont go wrong. With your PS2s you'll be doing 200 in a 'safer' manner and prolly even a little bit more..... and not just in a straight line either :yes:

Some other stuff that complement the above..... strut braces (front and rear), PU bushes, X brace, good alignment/balancing .... all ensure a rock solid platform which will allow the above sport suspension to really show its worth!

The other stuff can wait..... if u track your car you may want to consider upgrading your brakes to some after market jobs (bremb etc.). If you dont, upgrading any one or a combination of these will help improve performance in some way - stainless steel hoses, grooved cross drilled rotors, better pads, good fluid (ATE blue's).....

For details do a search of the forum.... all these have been discussed at length before.

Have a good drive!

u car is underdamped or ur shocks are dead. try a good set of dampers first. that shd take care of any "sway" problem at 200.

theoretically speaking, of course. ;)

by the way, none of the mods u listed will do u any good. especially mating aftermarket springs to std dampers. its just gonna make the problem worse.

good luck!

redd

My car with the standard body kit and eibach springs and bil shocks is rock steady at 200 and i am able to do highway sweepers with ease.

Originally posted by supergripen@Oct 24 2005, 11:54 AM
:) hey Maco..why not try a set of Eibachs first.that i think shud do the trick..optionally u cud go for M3 bodykit but don't forget the front splitter.that shud give u some downforce thus increasing stability..theoretically!!!
:wink: i stand by my words bro..try a set of eibach pro-kits with ur standard dampers(provided they are still in good condition).don't have to do everything at once..do the springs first.if u feel its adequate,then its all for u to gain without having to waste money.different driver have different needs..
as and when ur standard dampers go bad,u can get a set of eibach pro-dampers to go with ur pro-kits.do it one at a time so that u can feel the improvements done..
the m3 bodykit will help ur car's stability at high speeds.and ur car will look great as a bonus..however,don't forget the front splitter as it helps aerodynamically.
good luck in trying out the mods..that's where the fun is. :wink:

if only concern about swaying on straight road while travelling fast, just upgrade your dampers only. will make a lot of difference.

will have to upgrade more if u are concerned with cornering, braking n etc........

Aerodynamics are not a concern in passenger cars. Wings, bodykits, etc., will only have a very very very marginal effect on high speed stability.

I have to agree with Necc and any gains will be marginal unless it was an ori factory design ( ie. the 911 ) where extensive wind tunnel tests were done....

:) well,u don't have to take my word for it..worst case u get to give ur car a fresh sporty new look in the factory m3 bodykit.

i still believe the factory m3 kit do give some aerodynamic advantage at high speeds over the standard ones fitted to non-M e36s.like i said,u don't have to take my word for it.its just my personal view..used to own an e36 too and i'm talking from my experiences with it.very very nice car..

good luck.

1) Suspension + related parts eg mounting, tie-rod etc
2) Tire pressure and thread pattern

Totally agree with The Necc... bodykits on most passenger vehicles are more cosmetic and aren't really going to change ride and handling characteristics significantly.

A lot depends on what is meant by "sway". Is it tramlining? Cross-wind buffeting? Poor recovery from vertical road oscillations? Instability on awkward and uneven cambers? Steering sensitivity? Each would have a different "fix".

Not sure about E36 specifically, but high-speed composure is unfortunately an inherent bugbear of the E46. Baru saja fix with the E90 so it's possible that pre-E46 models exhibit similar characteristics lor. Suspension tuning may help, but getting the variables balanced correctly is a bit of voodoo and you have to be prepared for trade-offs when you're NOT doing 200 and up (which would usually be most of the time). So personally, I would just avoid those speeds in your car la. Pure speed is not the most fun part of driving anyway.

Guys,

Cool! :) Thanks for the info. Really2 appreciate it.

Ok, as for now Im taking the route of Eibach pro kits with option to replace shocks with Bilsten sport shocks. See first how it suits me.
Concurrently, I am also getting the M3 kit fitted once it arrives here in Miri. :unsure: On order from KL. Maybe after Raya I will get it. The M3 kits looks good and if it helps at high speed I consider it a bonus... :yes!:

Next will be the stainless steel brake hose and brake rotors followed by strut bars (you should see me drive, honestly i think i need em) :D ...but thats another story for another day...

For those celebrating Aidilfitri "Selamat Menyambut Aidilfitri", while to those celebrating Deepavali "Happy Deepavali"!!

:) good on ya..same here bro.i drive the hell out of 2.8..if not,why get a 328i and pay the high roadtax for.

..and yeah,do the mods bit by bit so that u can feel the car change and improve.then u can adjust ur driving with the improvements.

the roads from miri to brunei are damn straight and carless aren't they?? shoot!!! here in kay-ell u can't even do 160 without some idiot spoiling the rhythm for you..shucks!!

Top Bottom