Opinion needed

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

jumi

Club Guest
Dear forumer,sifus and otai of e34,I need opinion on my engine problem.Currently my car running on m20b25 auto.Now facing problem on radiator keep losing water.need to topup everyday.Most of cooling system item such as radiator,termostat,hoses, water pump has been replace and recently replace the pipe in between the clutch fan also. except the clutch fan.And also temp gauge on speedo meter showing the temp slightly more than half when i stop or in idling position.But in driving condition the temp on the dot.Is it normal?All the item I replace at Albert workshop.Accoding to Albert it could be a clutch fan fault or cause of head gasket.And he said to me that may be top overhaul needed.Here I need you guys opinion which is better to way to solve my problem.Either to do top overhaul or just change to m50b25 halfcut.If possible i would like to solve this problem at minimun cost due to my pocket already koyak.Hope you guys can help me.Thanks in advance.

what albert claim could very well be true. anyhow you could get another reputable mechanic's opinion by having your car looked at.

Bro Mizhan,any workshop u can suggest?Should I do top overhauled?

i do most of the work on my cars at Optimum Motorworks in Kayu Ara, but there are many others whom could give you a sound assessment of your car.

@Jumi

Try this first:
1. Use a bottle of green coolant.
2. Let the engine run until it reach working temperature, (termostat fully open) let it run for few minutes.
3. Stop the engine and let it cool down for few hours.
4. Hose off every joint area with very slow runing water, the water will turn green if there's a leak.

- The area
1. all hosses joints
2. radiator bleeding screw, cap & tube, expansion tank.
3. Between cylinder head & block (limited to where u can reach).

Hope that help.

Thanks bro Fahami,I already check all joint and etc but no sign of leak.Until this morning I saw, there is wet sign at below part of my expension tank.Can I change or replace only the expension tank or need to replace whole radiator?

If really my problem cannot be solve,Should I do the top ovehauled the engine or change the engine?
If possible I like to keep the originality of my car, meaning to say that the 89 model come with M20.But due to some parts of M20 now rarely can get new,What u guys can advise me?

jumi;577915 said:
If really my problem cannot be solve,Should I do the top ovehauled the engine or change the engine?
If possible I like to keep the originality of my car, meaning to say that the 89 model come with M20.But due to some parts of M20 now rarely can get new,What u guys can advise me?

There are still wide availability for M20 parts, don't worry.

Depends on your budget and the cost for top overhaul. Changing another M20 engine should be cheap. If change to M50 engines then a lot of work involved, including the wiring harness, cost will surely be higher.

morpheus5039;577985 said:
There are still wide availability for M20 parts, don't worry.

Depends on your budget and the cost for top overhaul. Changing another M20 engine should be cheap. If change to M50 engines then a lot of work involved, including the wiring harness, cost will surely be higher.

Thanks bro for yr info,If the parts for m20 still available and easy to get replacement,I really happy to keep my current m20.Btw where u do yr engine conversion bro?

jumi;578001 said:
Thanks bro for yr info,If the parts for m20 still available and easy to get replacement,I really happy to keep my current m20.Btw where u do yr engine conversion bro?

Bro, I do at PKL Motorsport @ Kuchai Entrepreneurs Park. A lot of E34 being done here.

morpheus5039;578009 said:
Bro, I do at PKL Motorsport @ Kuchai Entrepreneurs Park. A lot of E34 being done here.

Hw the charge there?Could u give me the contact no?Thanks

Need to change the radiator, better bro. Since you just changed your radiator, it should be under warranty you should talk to them about it.

To bad that i change a second hand unit.Mine problem mainly 90% solved.Yesterday change the clutclh fan.The result make me happy.so now need to replace new unit radiator.

Top Bottom