Oil in Expansion Tank - $$$$$ - cracked heat exchanger

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

shanbala

Club Guest
Monday morning my normal routine is to ensure check wifes X3 ready for the week' use.Top up water for the radiator, notice oil in the expansion tank. It appears oil leaked into the radiator."Cracked Head" ????Yesterday, my mechanic explained that the heat exchanger was damaged resulting in oil leakage into the radiator.(He is sure it is not a cracked head. The X3 was used extensively during the weekend. No overheating at all)Now I have to change the following to solve the issue:
  • radiator
  • heat exchanger
  • expansion tank
  • mounting plate
  • thermostat
  • miscellaneous connectors, hoses, gaskets etc ......
Planning to source the parts in KL and/or Singapore to save $$$$.The parts at AB alone cost in excess of RM6K. Eg radiator (Behr brand) - AB quoted RM 1,761. I managed to source the same part from JB at RM 700 only.Due to Deepavali holidays, car will be sidelined till the weekend after Deepavali. My Deepavale will be spent sourcing the above parts.Any other forum members faced a cracked heat exchanger ??

Try Bavaria Auto or Eng Soon in Singapore its about SGD130 if am not wrong.

Good luck bro

Change the gearbox oil cooler and do a full flush ... why need to change radiator and other stuffs?

B33mEr;851080 said:
Change the gearbox oil cooler and do a full flush ... why need to change radiator and other stuffs?

Sorry bro , i dont understand the connection system among the gearbox and radiator . Can explain a bit bro b33mer .

- - - Updated - - -

B33mEr;851080 said:

Sorry bro , i dont understand the connection system among the gearbox and radiator . Can explain a bit bro b33mer .

Bro Xthree,

The GBox uses the heat exchanger to help cool it while in operation. The HE connects on one side to the GB and the other side to the radiator.
When it cracks the ATF will seep into the expansion tank and radiator.

Like b33mer said, change the HE, do a radiator and exp. tank flush. Maybe change the ATF while you're at it.

Xthree,y

You are not the only one suprised that such a relationship exist betweengearbox & radiator. Over the last 48 hours I have also been enlighten.
The heat exchanger looks like a minature version of a radiator. In my 2006 X3,it is located below the radiator.
The heat exchanger (oil cooled) primary source is to "cool" the ATFfluid. As the hot ATF fluid flows through the heat exchanger, water from theradiator passes through the heat exchanger simultaneous cooling down the ATFfluid before it reenters the gearbox.

From the various forum threads, a lot of drivers ignore to check the thecondition of the heat exchanger. In my case, the leak of the exchanger, causedthe oil from the exchanger to mix with the water from the radiator. Thecontaminated water was carried back into my radiator/expansion tank.

Anaksarawak,
Checked with Singapore. Both Eng Soon & Performance Motor does not havestock at the moment. Eng Soon quoted S$360 and Performance $420. These amountsequate to between RM 936 to RM 1,092. AB Malaysia quoted RM 1,173. Bavarian,Inner Power, 1st Division quoted higher than AB, RM 1,250 (price fixing????)

B33mEr,
Was advised by mechanic to change the radiator assembly. Because its aluminiummade, flushing it might not clear all the oil particules. Will discuss againwith mechanic about flushing the radiator.

Update:
Purchased the following spares:
From Singapore:
1) Thermostat - RM 312
2) Radiator mounting Plate - RM 546
3) Radiator Expansion Tank - RM201
4) Radiator cap - RM 85
From KL:
4) Heat Exchanger - from AB RM 1,173 (no other spares shop in KL stocked this item. Even AB had to order from JB centre)
5) Radiator - RM 850
Total bill: RM 3,167

By purchasing the 4 spares in S'pore, saved about 30%. If not for the exchange rate (1 Sing$ = RM 2.6 approx), savings would be much higher. Because had a relative coming down from S'pore, I did not incur any transport cost. If I had to drive down south, then not worth the trip unless purchasing more items. The heat exchanger alone was RM 350 cheaper in S'pore but sadly NO stock.

Now for the repairs
Car will be worked on this Saturday (9th Nov)
Not sure what labour cost + miscellaneous will add up to $$$$$$$
Will update once job completed

Attention to all X3 owner ... last year shanbala got it , now it's my turn ....

Better do check your thermostat. My expansion tank just crack and burst , due to the failure thermostat . Damage don't know yet mechanic still looking for part . If any of my udm bro have any advice related to this matter , please tell us ... I'm be very much appreciated on that . Thanks

I'll update once repair is completed ...

Updated .

My UDM is back to normal , growling as before .. Brand new expansion tank , new thermostat and a new electric water pump . Damage all in plus extra service rm 2,600.. ( 2 bottle of bmw coolant ) . My odometer is only 92000 km only ... was thinking of changing at this coming 100,000km .....

Top Bottom