Odour Removal?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

namidub

Official Member
Hello fellow forumers,I have one quick question.How do we overcome the odour/bad smell inside our car?In my case, I just got back from Penang,cant resist to bring back a trunkload of durians,manggis,rambutans (thanks Father-in-law!)Now how do i remove the smell of these items,especially the king of fruits,Durian!Anyone got a working solution?Read somewhere about air sterilizer/ionizer like the MedKlinn. Do these products work?Suggestions please.Thanks in advanced!:top:

hmm..try the old method,, use charcoal by putting them inside the car.. it helps !!

another effective old method would be a bunch of daun pandan in the trunk. that is, if you can accept pandan smell in exchange la. otherwise just visit any decent d-i-y outlet, plenty of modern 'odour eliminator' products these days.

Stuff like Febreeze may temporarily mask the smell only I think.

Best option if you have the time and space, would be to open up your doors and windows under the hot sun for a few hours. Mizhan's suggestion would work wonders too.

For me, I bought a charcoal thingy from Daiso, RM 5, and have been placing it in my car, so far quite alright in getting rid of those odours especially when I takeaway those food from hawker stalls or pasar malam.

You should not recirculate the air in you car because the smell will get into your air con ducts.
When I smoke in my car , I always switch off the recirculation and open the window an inch. The faster air flow outside the car will draw the smoke out through the gap at the window, this work best when the car is moving.
My wife never notice I have smoked in the car, she's got sensitive nose.

Slightly leave a gap on all windows before you leave the car when you park it in the house, this promote a much better air circulation for all the air thats trapped in the car. The odor are caused by the local humidity as well as the day time heat.

Or you can get those disposable deodorizer, charcoal pellets ones, that work wonder back in my days of driving :) Change it once the water level hit the recommended mark.

IanDaddy;650339 said:
You should not recirculate the air in you car because the smell will get into your air con ducts.
When I smoke in my car , I always switch off the recirculation and open the window an inch. The faster air flow outside the car will draw the smoke out through the gap at the window, this work best when the car is moving.
My wife never notice I have smoked in the car, she's got sensitive nose.

Ha ha, i think your wife pretend dunno only cause she know complain also no use. sure there will be traces / smell of smoking in the car even if windows are opened.

Try pandan leaves... works wonders for me.

Keeps the roaches away too!

Another vote for pandan leaves...it works for me, always..

Just curious, for city dwellers like most of us, how exactly can we get hold of the pandan leaves? Readily available from pasar?

bring trunk load of charcoal then after one week , host a BMW TT BBQ session...
cheers!

Eggie86;652409 said:
Just curious, for city dwellers like most of us, how exactly can we get hold of the pandan leaves? Readily available from pasar?

Dude! I am a city dwellers too! :)

Most neighbourhood mini-mart that sells fruits and vegetables will have pandan leaves. Buy 2 to 3 ringgit worth and leave it in your car for 3 days or so (repeat if necessary). It's more for the roaches and insect problem, but works well with odour too.

Thanks for the info Will. Will probably give it a shot although I don't have problems with insects in my ride at the moment. :top:

Will78;652421 said:
Dude! I am a city dwellers too! :)

Most neighbourhood mini-mart that sells fruits and vegetables will have pandan leaves. Buy 2 to 3 ringgit worth and leave it in your car for 3 days or so (repeat if necessary). It's more for the roaches and insect problem, but works well with odour too.

Eggie86;652409 said:

bro, plant your own pandan leave in a pot at the car poach. Or if u r staying in high rise apartment/condo, put it at the balcony... believe me, its very easy to plant.

e46_UDM;652479 said:
bro, plant your own pandan leave in a pot at the car poach. Or if u r staying in high rise apartment/condo, put it at the balcony... believe me, its very easy to plant.

Awesome to hear that bro. Will keep that in mind and plant some. :top:

Charcoal
Roti Gardenia (esp for lu-lian smell)
Pandan ..

Note : Pandan and lu-lian smell, combined = disaster .. :)

535i;652556 said:
Note : Pandan and lu-lian smell, combined = disaster .. :)
+1. did it before. ended up with unique blend of major pandan with minor durian undertone perfume. as food both tasty but really cannot tahan as car fragrance. might work for others though... especially if they like the pandan smell.

EL118;651349 said:
Ha ha, i think your wife pretend dunno only cause she know complain also no use. sure there will be traces / smell of smoking in the car even if windows are opened.
i believe this to be the case too particularly in the case of close family members or significant other that understand well your habits... anyhow have to involve a strong car fragrance to mask smell.

Top Bottom