O2 Sensor on E36 318i Year 1995

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

kitneng

Club Guest
Dear All Sifus,I'm just wonder where is the location of the o2 sensor for my car. My car model is 1995 E36 318i.I try to look at my ekzos but can't find it. Normally is located after the 421 extractor. Am I rite (Cause I had see my friend's o2 before when he jack his car)?But mine one cannot see, really don't know where is it?Hopefully you guys can show me cause I suspect my o2 having problems cause * Irregular idle during warm-up * Irregular idle with warm engine * Poor engine performance * Fuel consumption is high * Driving performance is weakIf the o2 sensor really "KONG", do you guys know raftly how much it cost?Stenly

If i m not mistaken first batch of e36 might not hv the o2 sensor as I been told...fr the sympton u describe it seem u have a airflow meter problem...try clean the iddle valve control with WD-40 as it is the most easiest & does not cost u money to fix it...if still giv u the same problem, then most likely yr airflow meter "kong"..

yup...earlier ones come sans the O2 sensor...but its got connector situated on the body mid way along the pipes...but no sensor..:)

bugger...

ur symptoms sound familiar...i cured mine with a replacement afm... will be considering a MAF conversion soon, now that i got my euro M3 MAF...;)..

cheers

hey stan ,
got meh , tht day when i drive your car dont feel it also ?
ask ken , he know the price of 02 sensor coz he change it before on jsen car ....
good luck bro

Thanks brothers,

Mine one is M43 running timing chain. I dunno whether is afm or o2 sensor.

If talking about early 318 with wire but no sensor, can I install one to my car?

I'm not sure whether it is afm problems or not. I just afraid after I change the afm, the problems still remain & waste my money.

Dunno where can I borrow one to test at my car. He he...

I'll test my battery condition at the same time too!

Hopefully can solve it.

Vincent, the problems not happen frequently but it is not consistant, sometimes to power very "SIOK" but sometimes is bad. So dunno what happen. Go & do diagnostic but no error code.

Really headahc.... :aggressive:

today me and kitneng went to st*gg*rt ,
ask about his car problem blablabla bla,
then ask about 02 sensor ,
kitneng; why my car no 02 sensor ?

st*gg*rt reply , maybe the last owner have disable it .

me ; huh no 02 sensor can meh !

st*gg*rt reply ; can why not!alot people taken it out mah...cos we in malaysia no need to use 02 sensor wan ....

me ; then why other people change it ? it will rosak right ? then fc naik car no power >>.expensive le tht o2 sensor .

st*gg*rt reply ; no need to change it , if you want to remove it , i recommend you to go this shop in taman mayang he knows how to do it . alot of our car we send it there to remove it ...

so guys is it TRUE WHAT THIS FELLOW SAYING ...

Hi guys,

How much do you think the afm (air flow meter) cost? I mean the used one? Where can I get one?

kitneng

Originally posted by vincent@Jun 6 2006, 09:36 PM

st*gg*rt reply ; can why not!alot people taken it out mah...cos we in malaysia no need to use 02 sensor wan ....

me ; then why other people change it ? it will rosak right ? then fc naik car no power >>.expensive le tht o2 sensor .

st*gg*rt reply ; no need to change it , if you want to remove it , i recommend you to go this shop in taman mayang he knows how to do it . alot of our car we send it there to remove it ...

Never ajak....... :cry:

actually u shld ask the guy what is the funtion of O2 sensor..........

Originally posted by kitneng@Jun 7 2006, 04:30 PM
Hi guys,

How much do you think the afm (air flow meter) cost? I mean the used one? Where can I get one?

kitneng
around 250-400 depend how sharp the pisau of the kedai potong ...... :D

i got mine at 250 but its for M20B25......

Originally posted by kitneng@Jun 7 2006, 03:30 AM
Hi guys,

kitneng
a couple of forumer recently posted that they got it for RM300, if i remember correctly

erm...i'm no guru..but why the hell would anyone remove the O2 sensor ???...its there to work in tandem with the MAF to correctly control the fuel-air mix!!!!! can the thing work without it, if its already in the system in the first place?

afaik, poor chaps like me with the early models have to retrofit the O2 sensor, then hotwire everything from the MAF into a piggyback to control air-fuel mix...

u've already got one..now who in his right mind would remove it?..

i'm keen to know..really..:)..

Originally posted by vincent@Jun 6 2006, 09:36 PM

dude, i do believe that's wrong. below is a text from wikipedia:-

An automotive oxygen sensor, also known as an O2 sensor, lambda probe, lambda sensor, lambda sond or EGO (exhaust gas oxygen) sensor, is a small sensor inserted into the exhaust system of a petrol engine to measure the concentration of oxygen remaining in the exhaust gas to allow an electronic control unit (ECU) to control the efficiency of the combustion process in the engine. In most modern automobiles, these sensors are attached to the engine's exhaust manifold to determine whether the mixture of air and gasoline going into the engine is rich (too much fuel) or lean (too little fuel).

This information is sent to the engine management ECU computer, which adjusts the mixture to give the engine the best possible fuel economy and lowest possible exhaust emissions. Failure of these sensors, either through normal aging or the use of leaded fuels, can lead to damage of an automobile's catalytic converter and expensive repairs.

So if the vehicle is using one, you cant just take it out. that mech is seriously wrong somewhere. Haiyaaaa!

Originally posted by gwumpkus@Jun 5 2006, 09:43 PM
ur symptoms sound familiar...i cured mine with a replacement afm... will be considering a MAF conversion soon, now that i got my euro M3 MAF...;)..

cheers
:D Tell me more on yr MAF conversion.
R u from sg? Do join jb tt this fri. We plan to watch world cup together.

Dear All,

I'm getting the same information what DingChavez saying.

The oxygen sensor is one of the most important elements of the modern fuel injection systems. A finely tuned fuel injection system with an oxygen sensor can maintain an air/fuel ratio within a close tolerance of .02 percent. Keeping the engine at the stoichiometric level (14.6:1 air/fuel ratio) helps the engine generate the most power with the least amount of emissions.

The oxygen sensor is located in the exhaust system of the engine, and senses the oxygen content of the exhaust gases. The amount of oxygen in the exhaust varies according to the air/fuel ratio of the fuel injection system. The oxygen sensor produces a small voltage signal that is interpreted by the electronic control unit (ECU) of the fuel injection system. The ECU makes constant adjustments in fuel delivery according to the signal generated by the oxygen sensor in order to maintain the optimum air/fuel ratio.

There are a few signs that your oxygen sensor may be failing. In general, it is difficult to diagnose problems with the sensor, unless all of the other components in the fuel injection system have been checked and determined to be operating correctly. Some of the symptoms of a failed oxygen sensor system are:

* Irregular idle during warm-up
* Irregular idle with warm engine
* Engine will not accelerate and backfires
* Poor engine performance
* Fuel consumption is high
* Driving performance is weak
* CO concentration at idle is too high or too low
* Check Engine light is illuminated

In general, if the oxygen sensor is not working, the car will be running very poorly, and will also be outputting a lot of harmful emissions. On most BMWs, the engine's computer will give you a warning signal that lights up the Check Engine Lamp if the signal received by the computer is out of it's normal range.

If you disconnect the oxygen sensor and ground it to the chassis, the ECU will think that the car is running really lean, and will try to richen the mixture. At the other extreme, if you disconnect the oxygen sensor, and replace it with a small AA battery that supplies 1.5 volts, the ECU will think that the car is running really rich and attempt to adjust the mixture to be leaner.

hmm..thanx Ding for the info...thats what i suspected too..cos the O2 sensors are integral to an MAF's function..:)

initialM: yeah..from south of te border...i'm trying to make time to join u guys this friday for TT after failing so many times..:).. hehheh..

the MAF conversion is an ongoing project lah..:)..hahhahh...just got another car, so the scope of works has gotten bigger..;)

hahaaha exactly !what the hell people spend good money on tht tiny little sensor ?if it does not have a function ? i will go wit lionel and check it out ..

Hi All,

As far as I read from the service manual, O2 is to feedback to the system to change/modify ratio of air and fuel.
You should able to find this easily.

o2_sensor_1.jpg

The Airflow Sensor is only use it on the 318i machine. Please note that they are 2 version.

Please check before you change.. XXX134 and XXX135
The price is can be very different.

regards, yan

Top Bottom