Non BMW related help needed

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

JDY

Club Guest
Hi guys,Was hoping to get some advice from anyone here. I know I know this is BMW forum not NIssan forum, but what can I say it seems like this is the most active car forum on the web. Ive made posts on various nissan forums but the response is not very good. This BMW unkers seem to be alot more helpful la! maybe they dont mind helping a nissan.. :D... anyway here's the link explaining my issue. any input/ advice is greatly appreciated.Thanks guys!http://www.sr20forum.com/new-members/268228-another-newbie-melbourne-help-needed-urgently.html

I'm assuming as long as the alternator belt is being driven it should be able to run without any problems. It's just a guess though don't take my word for it.

try shorter belt, bypass AC. My sr20 doesn't even have a fan or air compressor, all got thrown out. Running fine thus far.

kgb;565662 said:
try shorter belt, bypass AC. My sr20 doesn't even have a fan or air compressor, all got thrown out. Running fine thus far.

So ur saying if i were to bypass the a/c compressor altogether, the altenator belt will still be driven correct?
pardon my ignorance :eek: ... Thanks !

Since the belt is already broken, check whether the pulley of the aircon can be turn freely.

It seem that the A/C might be faulty and caused the slippage and rubbing of the fan belt.

If the aircon compressor is seized up, better to replace it when you also replace the belt.

check other things that is driven by the engine can be turn freely by hand.
eg.
1. water pump
2. engine fan (not sure about nissan)
3. Power steering.
4. Alternator

not familiar with the engine pulley layout for the sr20, so a photo will definitely help....
Have to see whether it's an easy job to by pass it or need to modify the pulleys or the tensioner. Only afraid that if not done properly, it'll end up giving you more headache.

no issues for the late model M42 engine, cos the a/c compressor runs a dedicated belt, so remove or cutting off that belt doesn't affect the alternator and water pump... Have done that before, so I know.

looking at the picture below, it look like the aircon belt is independent of other devices driven by the engine pulley.

Not sure what is the black pulley. Think it could be the belt jockey tensioner .

s13-sr20det-pulleys.jpg

Thanks alot for the picture! looking at the picture, if i bypass the a/c what about the black pulley next to it ?
anyway i will try what jarance suggested (check if it spins freely) . And will try to snap a picture. But from the pic above, the belt snapped between the black (what isit?) pulley and the aircon pulley..

There's no guarantee that the pulley arrangement in the pic is the same as your engine.... So better to check and compare...

The black pulley is the tensioner pulley, to adjust the belt tension.

JDY;565818 said:
Thanks alot for the picture! looking at the picture, if i bypass the a/c what about the black pulley next to it ?
anyway i will try what jarance suggested (check if it spins freely) . And will try to snap a picture. But from the pic above, the belt snapped between the black (what isit?) pulley and the aircon pulley..

I guess the black pulley could be the power steering pump.

Usually, a tensioner should press the belt rather than push the belt.

Does your car have power steering? If it does, then it confirm the power steering pulley.

can you start the engine and check whether its hard to turn the steering when engine is running.

jarance;565825 said:
I guess the black pulley could be the power steering pump.

Usually, a tensioner should press the belt rather than push the belt.

Does your car have power steering? If it does, then it confirm the power steering pulley.

can you start the engine and check whether its hard to turn the steering when engine is running.

that's not always the case especially for those running 'V' shaped belts.. If the flat BK belts, yes, it's pressed more often than not...

fabianyee;565827 said:
that's not always the case especially for those running 'V' shaped belts.. If the flat BK belts, yes, it's pressed more often than not...

fab, have to agree with you on that. :top:

Just notice the V-shape belt on the SR-20 engine as compare to the flat type belt.. :motz:

Yes the car has power steering, at the moment i cant start the car cause the battery's been drained. Im trying to see if the location of the black pulley in the picture is the same in my car. I can see the a/c pulley but not that. Anw cant take pics now, will try to snap when my friend gets back later. Thanks Guys!

the pulleys may be placed differently on a transverse mount (FWD platform) like yours and the longitudinally mount (RWD platform)..

and being in aussieland, you better be learning fast to DIY... The labour charges there will kill you.... Time to get your hands and fingernails dirty....

JDY;565830 said:
Yes the car has power steering, at the moment i cant start the car cause the battery's been drained. Im trying to see if the location of the black pulley in the picture is the same in my car. I can see the a/c pulley but not that. Anw cant take pics now, will try to snap when my friend gets back later. Thanks Guys!

Ooops... clicked on the Edit button instead of the Quote button...

Anyway, take the step by step approach to troubleshoot, first identify which is which... Please tell me u know which is the A/C compressor and which is the alternator and the p/s pump.. Once you've those right, then see how the belts run thru them.. understand how it works and you'll find the solution... If you don't understand how it works, then we oso can't help much remotely....

SR20..

Another photo here..

Top row from left, Power steering, water pump, and alternator at the far right corner.
Bottom row crank pulley.. too bad no belt in the photo. So dunno who tarik who..
engine01SR20DE.jpg

Another one here..
Top row from left, Power steering, water pump, alternator.
Bottom row crank pulley, aircond.. too bad no belt in the photo. So dunno who tarik who..
136036014_full.jpg

From the above photo, looks like 1 belt tarik all because I don't see the crank pulley having multiple belt channel like the crazy SR20 posted by jarance in the earlier page.. :stupid:

Another.. this one simple, 3 pulley from left to right, water pump, crank pulley and alternator..
SR20.jpg

Aiyaa.. whatever it is, just make sure the alternator is connected to the crank pulley and is spinning lor. Still no charge, then alternator kaput lor.

JDY, always see your lovely E30 in my housing area. :love:

Reading this thread and trying to help a fellow Malaysian thousand of miles away, you guys are just great!!:top::top::top:

Thanks for the illustrations astroboy. At least now i have an idea of what can be done. I am still not confident enough to do a DIY, but at least now i can tell the mech what i want to be done instead of him ripping me off. as Fabian said labour charges in aussieland are a killer.

p/s astroboy u live arnd dsara uptown as well? e30 is my brothers now, also another forummer here. :D

Another closer look..

I see the water pump pulley (top) and crank pulley (bottom).. :p
Pulley.jpg

I see 2 belts la! :eek:

Ab, that one for turbo lar.. should be 3 belts for turbo, aircon

2 belts for air-con.

1 belt for no aircon & no turbo..

Top Bottom