New automatic eight-speed ZF transmission for M5 F10

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

BlackE90

Expected to debut either as a concept or production-ready model at the Geneva Motor Show this year, the performance version of the current 5 Series F10 generation will be fitted with a new ZF eight-speed automatic transmission.
2011-BMW-M5-F10-3.jpg
The Germans from BMW decided to fit the new M5 F10 with an automatic transmission from ZF, dropping the DCT seven-speed gearbox because there are some chances for the DCT to not be able to handle the power properly. The new M5 F10 will be available with the 4.4-liter twin-scroll delivering 555-horsepower and 718 Nm of torque. The sprint from 0 to 100 km/h will be achieved in about 4,4 seconds.
2011-BMW-M5-F10-2.jpg
Instead of revising the current transmission which fits the performance models, the Bavarians decided to introduce a new gearbox, the eight-speed one, developed by ZF. Actually, the new automatic transmission will be the only option for the new BMW M5 F10, thus, they have to be very careful when taking this kind of decisions.

I doubt it will be the only transmission offered as in the US many still prefer manual transmission over auto or DCT ... 555hp and 718 NM is just awesomely ridiculous lol i wonder whats the mpg :4:

perhaps the Americans can persuade them to slap on a good ol' fashioned stickshift..

its a warranty program decision i think...with the force induction engine which has a lot of potential of 'over-tuning it', the choice would be to use a transmission that can handle a lot of torque...

Auto transmission can handle more power than a manual transmission?

This is also a departure from the ///M philosophy started by the X5/X6M which have an auto transmission as well.

The modding potential for this car would be enormous, stocks specs already in Porsche/Ferrari/lambo territory!!

mizhan;607491 said:
perhaps the Americans can persuade them to slap on a good ol' fashioned stickshift..

I believe BMW will offer a stick shift versions for the US market since it's an important market for BMW. The downside is that it may only be exclusive to the US only.

yes they will but with limitation...like the e60 M5 with manual tranny...the DSC cannot be turned off...makes little sense then...

B33mEr;607517 said:
I believe BMW will offer a stick shift versions for the US market since it's an important market for BMW. The downside is that it may only be exclusive to the US only.

t2ribena;607641 said:
yes they will but with limitation...like the e60 M5 with manual tranny...the DSC cannot be turned off...makes little sense then...

Cannot turn off via the DSC button?

i think there is the button but you cannot turn it completely off...BMW try to prevent abuse in the North America Market...same like their SMG III launch control...all other market get the 4000rpm launch but the north america gets less than 2000rpm launch only...

ALBundy;607647 said:
Cannot turn off via the DSC button?

t2ribena;607661 said:
i think there is the button but you cannot turn it completely off...BMW try to prevent abuse in the North America Market...same like their SMG III launch control...all other market get the 4000rpm launch but the north america gets less than 2000rpm launch only...

Initially can't be turn off but on Sept 2007 onwards M5 that rolls out from the factory can disable the DSC off completely. BMW didn't trust the US buyers initially lol

http://www.autoparts101.com/traction-control-problems-on-bmw-e60-m5/

i rememder late' Simon's M5, the DSC could turn off...i was with him all the way with the joy ride :)

ZF 8HP series can handle from 450nm to 900nm in petrol engine, 1000nm in diesel engine so no problem for M5.

In the real world the auto driver will outrun a manual driver in a sprint simply because the auto box can shift faster than any human, even drift king keiichi tsuchiya :joyman::joyman:

the e39 can turn off so during gymkhana its off if not cannot do the messy run...hehe

the e60 until model year 2008 (09/07) cannot turn off only like Beemer pointed out...

ALBundy;607669 said:
Did u turn it off when u did gymkhana?

Top Bottom