Need Advise: VIN database Vs. Reg card

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

BMW2007

Club Guest
Hi Bro,Found an E39 525i from a used car dealer with reg and mfg in year 2003. The car reg. card was also printed as year 2003 (tahun dibuat & buatan tempatan). However when checking the VIN database from internet source, it is showing as Dec/2002. Any clue on the year of mfg? which one is right and which one is wrong? Or it is nothing wrong? TQ

hello... any comment, input, advise?? Should this car considered as year 2003 (as per car reg card) or 2002 (as per VIN decoder)? TQ

Both is correct. The car is manufactured in 2002 but register in Malaysia 2003.

This also applied to re-con car.. Manufactured in 2003 but reimport to Malaysia a few year later and registered as new car which could be 3 years later.

VIN number is done to the factory. It cannot be wrong unless somebody tampered with the coding.

jarance;446031 said:
Both is correct. The car is manufactured in 2002 but register in Malaysia 2003.

This also applied to re-con car.. Manufactured in 2003 but reimport to Malaysia a few year later and registered as new car which could be 3 years later.

VIN number is done to the factory. It cannot be wrong unless somebody tampered with the coding.

But in this case, the car is CKD?

bmw7833;446054 said:
But in this case, the car is CKD?

bro, your car is manufacture in Dec 2002. it is only a month till 2003.

Some people prefer to have it printed as 2003 because the market value of the car is "higher".

You can call the Insurance agent to insure your car. The market value would be different for a dec 2002 car as compare to a "2003" car.. :listen:

BMW2007;445902 said:
Hi Bro,

Found an E39 525i from a used car dealer with reg and mfg in year 2003. The car reg. card was also printed as year 2003 (tahun dibuat & buatan tempatan). However when checking the VIN database from internet source, it is showing as Dec/2002. Any clue on the year of mfg? which one is right and which one is wrong? Or it is nothing wrong? TQ

The manufacturing start date is Sept and the end date is Aug. So even though it is manufactured in dec 2002 it is considered as a 2003 model ... In other words any car (for BMW that is) that is produced Sept onward is considered a next year model.

For CKD i'm assuming that the parts are produced from BMW factory and have a time stamp of Dec 2002 and locally assembled at a later date as reflected from your registration card.

http://www.8coupe.com/Production/Year/tabid/129/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Thanks Bro. That's y i need to confirm. The VIN is showing Dec/2002 but the car reg card is stated 2003 - "Tahun Dibuat" while the pendaftaran is on May/2003. It is Buatan Tempatan - CKD. So, the car is considered year 2003 right?

BMW2007;446069 said:
Thanks Bro. That's y i need to confirm. The VIN is showing Dec/2002 but the car reg card is stated 2003 - "Tahun Dibuat" while the pendaftaran is on May/2003. It is Buatan Tempatan - CKD. So, the car is considered year 2003 right?

Yes it's a 2003 model ...

Top Bottom