Need advice - gearbox using ATF Vaico long life

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Chantahir

Club Guest
Hi sifus, I seek your comments and further advise as this is my1st time changing my gearbox oil for my E46 320i. The mechanic has used the ATF Vaico-long life instead of ZF which usually i read in this forum and reason given to me because of my car is JAPAN spec. I'm a bit sceptical on his reason and wish sifus out there can enlighten me on this issue. Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Correction for typo error on the heading shud be read as long life instead of long lige.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Always follow BMW's recommendation. If it's a ZF gearbox then it's always the ZF ATF Lifeguard5. Why risk using another type of fluid?

Being using more then 50k km on this Vaico Longlife ATF and there was no problem at all for me :top:
GLkhZbR.jpg

Alex5522;826671 said:
Being using more then 50k km on this Vaico Longlife ATF and there was no problem at all for me :top:
GLkhZbR.jpg

Good for you bro...
Hopes it stay that way...:top:

Seems like VAICO brand for bmw ATF fluid not very convincing but how many of you using this for your car and any problems encountered?

Chantahir;826717 said:
Seems like VAICO brand for bmw ATF fluid not very convincing but how many of you using this for your car and any problems encountered?

Well from the earlier post, Alex have been using that on his ride for 50k km and doesn't seem to have any issue with it.

Just wondering is Vaico much cheaper than ZF Lifeguard5?

@Chantahir:

That's pretty steep. Do they have any other cheaper brands in KK? ZF Lifeguard5 is being sold at RM39-45 per bottle over here in KL.

If its a ZF gearbox, just stick to ZF lifeguard as recommended.

Vaico ATF does not give a firm shift feel as the gears are upshifting. also if you notice the rpm drop everytime gear up shifts, the Vaico will give close to 1000rpm drop as compared to ZF about 600/500rpm drop.

not sure if it would malfunction due to Vaico but certainly the gearbox does not run well with it. the price you paid for Vaico is over limit. 32rm in OEM PJ.

Thanks tropos_net for your comments and advise but do i need to do flushing if i'm reverting to ZF lifeguard?

ADDITIONAL QUESTION;
How do I check my gearbox is Japan Version or Europe? any labeling or marking on it.

ZF marking is very clear on the gearbox. its a green and silver sticker on the top near output shaft rubber coupler.
flushing would just mean 2 rounds of lifeguard 5 with about 1000kms interval because you cant remove 100%
of the existing fluid all at one go (torque convertor capacity).

i have not see a GM gearbox so not in a position to describe. maybe the 2.0 4 cylinder E46 used the GM and all the 6 cylinders E46 used ZF.

Chantahir;828078 said:
ADDITIONAL QUESTION;
How do I check my gearbox is Japan Version or Europe? any labeling or marking on it.

Bro may be can try realoem key in your vin search model year give it a try...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

If not mistaken normally japan model will be using Japanese gearbox which is normally Jatco. Reason is its a trade agreement that a certain percentage of the contents must be local.

Bro,
Checked my vin but a bit confused because my car is imported from Japan however on vin information is Europe region spec. Furthermore, my GERAN year of manufacturing 2001 but VIN 1999. I'm more concern on the gearbox whether is ZF or GM and according to my mechanic all Japan spec is using GM gearbox and not using ZF auto transmission oil.

Check your g/b model by keying in your VIN in RealOEM. In my case, my model is shown as A5S325Z, which matches the reference list provided here (http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/foru...ission-Fluid-Reference-and-Procedures-(ZF-GM)) as a ZF box.

That is the most accurate way of determining the model, regardless of whether car is imported from Japan, Europe or even CKD in Malaysia.

In summary, recommended ATF for ZF g/b is ZF ATF while for GM g/b will be Dexron. You may check further with Iceduke or Anaksarawak as both has the GM g/b and currently running on the recommended Dexron III/IV manufactured by Petro-Canada.

Top Bottom