My radio won't shut off after turning the ignition off.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

zib

Club Guest
Hi all,Has any1 experienced something like this? It stays on after the ignition and the key is pulled out.It used to be once in a while when it did that. Now it has become more prevalent and I think that was what drained my battery after 3 days of not using the car. The battery is just 3 weeks old.Previous battery would be dead even after one or 2 days. Changed the battery as I thought it has been in the car since i bought the car 2 years ago so could be on its way out anyway.But the radio will turn itself off perhaps after a minute or so. And it will turn on but delayed when I turned the ignition back on.Only the clock would come up.Sometimes I can hear the radio blaring inside after the car has been parked for hours e.g. after work and my assumption was it turned itself on while being parked. Another reason why the previous battery was drained overnight.Some other strange thing happened was the indicator arrow inside the instrument cluster sometimes won't blink and the tick-tock sound was muted even though the indicators outside did blink. So strange...What could be causing this? Read over the internet about this E39 electrical gremlins, check the fuses both under the glovebox and above the battery but all were ok,no blown fuses. Today I changed the ignition switch at Bomin for Rm340 as I what i read suggested the ignition switch was faulty. Turned out it was ok but John couldn't refund me as he took the part from elsewhere and it was me who insisted him to change even though he advised otherwise at first.BTW this all started after I installed the iPod/aux adapter from ebay to bypass my CD changer. Could this be the cause?Any ideas fellas?All advice kindly appreciated.Cheers all.

Had a similar problem with my daughter's E46. According to my mechanic, the problem could be caused by the air Cond condensation water dripping on to the radio unit which is directly under the centre aircond vents. He taped up some of the ventilation holes on the radio unit. It's been more than 6 months so far so good.

I have the similar problem too as the brown wire from my radio was overload. Remove your radio and check wires and if you can't fix it please pm me as Ah Lai from Kuchai Lama resolved it. my case was worse as my ignition and brake switch was blown causing a madness! My repair cost me RM660.

1. yes on the ignition switch replacement.one of the probable causes of electrical gremlins in the e39.did this switch change fix the radio ghost?
2. disable the ipod/aux adaptor for a while and see if that's d cause

anaksarawak;800351 said:
I have the similar problem too as the brown wire from my radio was overload. Remove your radio and check wires and if you can't fix it please pm me as Ah Lai from Kuchai Lama resolved it. my case was worse as my ignition and brake switch was blown causing a madness! My repair cost me RM660.

What do u mean by overload?How to know it is overloaded? Check and then what to do with the brown wire?

1. yes on the ignition switch replacement.one of the probable causes of electrical gremlins in the e39.did this switch change fix the radio ghost? >>>No.

2. disable the ipod/aux adaptor for a while and see if that's d cause>>>>> Did that and still the same issue.

3.Replaced the hedge hog resistor. But this was due to the aircond blower not blowing any air.But the battery draining issue remains to this day.

zib;800414 said:
What do u mean by overload?How to know it is overloaded? Check and then what to do with the brown wire?

The brown wire burned as its rubber insulation has melted. No blown fuse or relays

my car is ok for now. But sometimes the batter can go flat within one day or it could last a few days without starting.

I wonder what is causing this. Touch wood it has been ok so far.

zib;838032 said:
my car is ok for now. But sometimes the batter can go flat within one day or it could last a few days without starting.

Sounds like someone wired some device directly to your battery bypassing the ignition. In my previous car (non bmw) i had a satelite immobiliser which was connected directly to the battery and it was draining my battery like crazy until it was discovered and disconnected

terry8;838037 said:
Sounds like someone wired some device directly to your battery bypassing the ignition. In my previous car (non bmw) i had a satelite immobiliser which was connected directly to the battery and it was draining my battery like crazy until it was discovered and disconnected

No. the car is original.

I did a minor mod due to iPod/aux adapter installation. Just plug and play the adapter i bought off ebay.

if you're facing the problem after installing the iPod adapter, that could be the culprit.

zib;838032 said:

terry8;838075 said:
Can't be.

The car is starting to misbehave again today. Can't start with a flat battery!!!

Arrghhh

ok guys here's my update on this issue which is also related to the battery draining issue I had.

As suspected it was caused by the lousy iPod/aux adapter that I bought from ebay. Not the seller's fault but it seems that this part is not compatible with my HU.

Thanks to Mr. Onn of Zender who painstakingly diagnosed my car for over a week.

The HU got warm even though the ignition was off and key taken out. The radio appeared to be turning on itself as if there was a ghost in the car...yes spooky. haha..but later turned out to be a wiring issue.

Now my car is back to normal. No more battery drain issue even when I left the car 5 days unattended. It would always start first time! Superb.

Highly recommended Zender motor for your car electrical issues.

zib said:
ok guys here's my update on this issue which is also related to the battery draining issue I had.

As suspected it was caused by the lousy iPod/aux adapter that I bought from ebay. Not the seller's fault but it seems that this part is not compatible with my HU.

Thanks to Mr. Onn of Zender who painstakingly diagnosed my car for over a week.

The HU got warm even though the ignition was off and key taken out. The radio appeared to be turning on itself as if there was a ghost in the car...yes spooky. haha..but later turned out to be a wiring issue.

Now my car is back to normal. No more battery drain issue even when I left the car 5 days unattended. It would always start first time! Superb.

Highly recommended Zender motor for your car electrical issues.
Thought you are selling your car bro? Sayang ka hehe. Anyway wheres the shop located? Any contact details.

huskar3399 said:
Thought you are selling your car bro? Sayang ka hehe. Anyway wheres the shop located? Any contact details.
Zender Motors Segambut. Behind Proton Edar.

Very easy if you are coming from Jln Duta heading to Segambut Roundabout just go straight or 12 o'clock at the Segambut roundabout.

Then take left before the traffic light under the flyover, then after 50 meters take left after Proton Edar.

You won't miss it.

BTW I have installed SIlver IceDUO Ipod adapter which connects (thus disabling) to the CD changer.

Now no more battery draining issues and I can enjoy all my 8GB songs collection from my iPod nano.

It only supports unto iPod 4S though. Bought from Ebay.

Highly recommended and easy to install DIY.

Top Bottom