My BMW leaks again..

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

FIRZ67

Club Guest
Today, wake up in the morning and plan to wash the car. Push my car backwards slightly...and really disappointed to see the stain of oil on my porch. Just had my car serviced 2 weeks ago and the oil still yellowish and clean. Now wondering from where does the leak came from since I just got my rocker cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket replace 3 months ago.... Need to monitor if the leak getting worst since this time the stain is significant compared to last time. Any advise what to check this time? Thanks.

U replaced top parts of the engine.....Bottom of the car...flywheel?? Oil sump???

For N42/N46 engine, worth to check the vacuum pump o-ring, crank shaft oil seal (flywheel), dip stick o-ring and sump gasket, the oil filter housing itself, solenoid valve o-rings...The general rule for this engine is to get it done one shot or you'll end up doing it anyway but with multiple visit to the w/shop. So far changing crank shaft oil seal was the most expensive I did since you need to take out the g/box to do it. All these rubber gasket/o-rings WILL surely fail no matter how good you take care of the car. Other than that, N42/N46 is ok

FIRZ67;587409 said:
Today, wake up in the morning and plan to wash the car. Push my car backwards slightly...and really disappointed to see the stain of oil on my porch. Just had my car serviced 2 weeks ago and the oil still yellowish and clean. Now wondering from where does the leak came from since I just got my rocker cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket replace 3 months ago.... Need to monitor if the leak getting worst since this time the stain is significant compared to last time. Any advise what to check this time? Thanks.

Brudder FIR

yellwish and clean >>> ATF - do bring ur car to any bimmer mech, ask him to check the under carriage and look for the ATF oil pan and seal. May be retighten the bolt will rectify the leak. All the best

choq@PAKA

choq

Thanks choq, I will need to check to with my previous workshop that did the full ATF change if that's the case. Did at Mscope. In fact during the ATF service they had changed the oil pan and the strainer + gasket .

try checking the washer ..certain mechanic they forgot to change the washer once they open up the oil drain..... simple rectify to the problem

Last week, I left my car at home for a week and the leak is getting worst. True as what bro choq@paka said, it's ATF . Brought my car to mscope last Saturday, possibly it's an ATF sump gasket. So if left the car too long without driving it , it will shrink and will let go the fluid . As mechanic from mscope said it could be overflow due to overfill of ATF. Will send the car back tomorrow to get a thorough check.

FIRZ67;587409 said:
.. Push my car backwards slightly.....

How to push your car backwards? E90 transmission has a safety latch to prevent shifter from shifting when engine not started. Unless u pry open the shifter boot to release the latch manually.

astroboy;591083 said:
How to push your car backwards? E90 transmission has a safety latch to prevent shifter from shifting when engine not started. Unless u pry open the shifter boot to release the latch manually.

I normally start the engine first then shift to N. Then push slightly backward. Normally did this when want to wash my car. Otherwise the stain from brake dust will make my porch look like a workshop...:)

FIRZ67;591337 said:
I normally start the engine first then shift to N. Then push slightly backward. Normally did this when want to wash my car. Otherwise the stain from brake dust will make my porch look like a workshop...:)

Smart way! also after washing, it needs to catch some sun :wink:

Hey all just want to know. I just got back from holiday for 2 weeks, where my E90 was not started at all. When I got back all sorts of leak u name it red, black, yellow was all over the porch. However, now that it has moved, there is no longer any leaks? Any explanations? Should I send for check up just in case? Thanks

Send for checking lar...... when someone leaks too much, must also go see doctor maa.... :)

irwaniz8816;591486 said:
Hey all just want to know. I just got back from holiday for 2 weeks, where my E90 was not started at all. When I got back all sorts of leak u name it red, black, yellow was all over the porch. However, now that it has moved, there is no longer any leaks? Any explanations? Should I send for check up just in case? Thanks

Irwaniz,
Same thing happened to me. I left my car 7 days on holiday and the leaks appears. Now when I drive back the car and monitor everyday, no more leaks. I think it is something to do with the tolerance of the gasket that is not sufficient to seal when the car is cold.It shrinkage factor need to be adjusted.

Send my car to M scope and the rectify the leak. It was from the ATF oil sump 'O' ring. Changed it and still monitoring. So far no more leaks.

This stupid car, if leave too long never drive, everything kecut and bocor.. must work her every day, and must be hard enough, then all well lubricated, remain swell/tight and work like a dream. :top:

P/S: Pardon my language, semua Ramsing punya influence..

Top Bottom