my '93 E36 318i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

louistan

Club Guest
Hi all,emm... First of all, would like to intro myself.New here, staying somewhere in PJ.bought a E36 318 2 years ago, driving till now, feel nice, comfort.Little ICE in car.Changed to 16" BM original ci rim (5 spoke split).re-done interior, deskboard, seats.the rest all Original.got some issues here, hope u sifus can advise.1. when i engage reverse gear (auto), there is a lag, about 2 Sec then only the car will move. anyone know why?2. when i'm doing about 90+ km/j, and i apply brake, vibration will be start on the steering. recently i changed tires (last month), then vibration lesser, but still. This week, the vibration came back. went to my Mechanic, he said the ball joints giving problem, need to change. My front Discs have 'sheme' (donno what is the word) before.2.1 is it really ball joints' problem?2.2 2 of the ball joints are about 100 each, another 2 are about 100+ each, is the price reasonable?3 when i kick-down during driving, or when idling, i make a full press on the accelerator there are some smoke coming out, any idea why?4 Any good mechanic around kota damansara area?thanks in advance.Regards,---LouisTan

hey there welcome...well since you're located in peejay ..maybe our legendary SITHWARRIOR maybe able to help you out ...

me only can answer few here..
no1, thats normal

no2 ask sithwarrior

no3 , smoke..not sure about that..

anyway do join us for TT someday

ICEMAN 13;205713 said:
hey there welcome...well since you're located in peejay ..maybe our legendary SITHWARRIOR maybe able to help you out ...

me only can answer few here..
no1, thats normal

no2 ask sithwarrior

no3 , smoke..not sure about that..

anyway do join us for TT someday

yo... ICEMan...

thanks..

how should i contact SithWarrior?

yo... SithWarrior... r u around ? :D :D

i will PM him/her later..

For no. 2, sounds like your brake discs needs to be skimmed. If you have done it before, that means whoever did it didn't do a good job? :)

rookie;206007 said:
For no. 2, sounds like your brake discs needs to be skimmed. If you have done it before, that means whoever did it didn't do a good job? :)

oh yah, did it previously, about 8 months ago.
which my mechanic told me disc need to be skimmed, it was ok for a while, but 3 month later it comes back. :(

Worth remembering every time u skim the disk gets thinner and more prone to warping. A swap out more spensive but no pening kepala in the long term.

louistan,
Solid disc on 318 is prone to warping. If possible try to get ventilated disc and change to 325/328 caliper.

Welcome another 3sixers ........Just answer ur question ...Hope it may help u up ....

1. when i engage reverse gear (auto), there is a lag, about 2 Sec then only the car will move. anyone know why?
-Ur gearbox start to give u some problem .....its NOT normal...Better send ur car to mech for checking .......

2. when i'm doing about 90+ km/j, and i apply brake, vibration will be start on the steering. recently i changed tires (last month), then vibration lesser, but still. This week, the vibration came back. went to my Mechanic, he said the ball joints giving problem, need to change. My front Discs have 'sheme' (donno what is the word) before.
2.1 is it really ball joints' problem?
2.2 2 of the ball joints are about 100 each, another 2 are about 100+ each, is the price reasonable?
-maybe ur ball joint ...maybe ur steering rack ...maybe ur steering linkage ...maybe ur lower arm ...maybe ur rim balancing out .......Need to check ....
-for the pricing ....u can always check wit AB or BA

3 when i kick-down during driving, or when idling, i make a full press on the accelerator there are some smoke coming out, any idea why?
-What smoke?If white ...then ur engine is about time to overhaul...maybe ur piston ring or valve problem .....

4 Any good mechanic around kota damansara area?
-sorry cant help cos not from tat area.....My mech in Kuchai Lama area

louistan;205678 said:
1. when i engage reverse gear (auto), there is a lag, about 2 Sec then only the car will move. anyone know why?

1 sec is normal. 2 sec, something is wrong. Try taking it to BMtech in Subang/Summit area.

2. when i'm doing about 90+ km/j, and i apply brake, vibration will be start on the steering. recently i changed tires (last month), then vibration lesser, but still. This week, the vibration came back. went to my Mechanic, he said the ball joints giving problem, need to change. My front Discs have 'sheme' (donno what is the word) before.
2.1 is it really ball joints' problem?
2.2 2 of the ball joints are about 100 each, another 2 are about 100+ each, is the price reasonable?

Cant remember what I did to solve this problem, but it didnt have anything to do with ball joints. I think its the brake disc.

3 when i kick-down during driving, or when idling, i make a full press on the accelerator there are some smoke coming out, any idea why?

smoke from where? Engine bay? accelerator? or exhaust pipe? What color is the smoke? If it smokes at high RPM it could indicate a problem with your air intake. Get it checked

4 Any good mechanic around kota damansara area?

Heh, I dont even know where Kota Damansara is. I can tell you a good mechanic in Jitra.. but thats about it

yo yo all,

thanks for your advice.

1. 1 sec, 2 sec...... some said ok, some said problem.

2. May need to change the Discs. Emm... let's wait and see what mechanic says.

3. yah, high rpm, grey smoke out from exhaust. my current mechanic check with his device, said no problem with air-intake, he suspected air-intake too.

well.... maybe next week, should spend a day to properly check up the car... :eek:

Cheers!
---
LouisTan

masCh, newbies here.
U know a good mechanic in Jitra? Can let me know where is it?
I'm thinking of buying a '93 E36.
Need some advise.

Yeah, in front of College Community Jitra

Same row as the Michelin Tyres shop

BMW workshop near Kota Damansara

HI there,

There is a BMW workshop in Subang Bestari (less than 10 min from Kota Damansara) called DTM Auto - a corner lot shop. Tried them several time. so far quite satisfied with their workmanship. Hope this will help.

Cheers.

Top Bottom