Musty Smell from Air Con

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bsoosay

Club Guest
Hi All,I'm driving an E90, and whenever I start my car, and then turn on the air con, I get a musty smell for about 15 seconds and then it goes off. Do any of you face this same thing? I asked my BMW dealer and he mentioned this is a common problem with the 3 series and 5 series. Is this true?

I think your aircon needs servicing. It's probably condensation not draining out properly and the microfilter getting wet. I had it before in a previous car and after servicing and cleanout, it was fine.

bsoosay;441896 said:
Hi All,

I'm driving an E90, and whenever I start my car, and then turn on the air con, I get a musty smell for about 15 seconds and then it goes off. Do any of you face this same thing? I asked my BMW dealer and he mentioned this is a common problem with the 3 series and 5 series. Is this true?

My E90 has oen kind of smell as well when i turn on the aircond. Usually I wind down the window first when i first on the aircond. Good point, I will bring up when I send my car for servicing next week.

before you shut down the engine, set the aircond temperature to below 20 degrees. the next time you start your car and aircond, it should eliminate the smell before setting to your desired temperature. it works all the time for me.

raft;442020 said:
before you shut down the engine, set the aircond temperature to below 20 degrees. the next time you start your car and aircond, it should eliminate the smell before setting to your desired temperature. it works all the time for me.

Thanks for the tips. Will try your method.:shakehands:

psychological is it?
if its new car, the new smell will override all smell
if u put those car freshener, then the smell will override ma..

before shutting off your engine, let your aircond blower on with A/C off for awhile. Cause its cold in there, wet and then smelly.

try check the aircon blower as there may have some leaves stuck in there. experience that in my E36 and VIOS..

hey all..

i experienced that mushy smell too. i initially thot it was due to the air freshener that i used.

anyway, has anyone left their cars for couple of days without driving (say 1 week) and the moment u fired up the engine and turn on the aircon, u see white dust/particulates spewing from the aircon vents ?

I had this problem too .... complained to ingress auto and they said they sprayed some chemicals into the aircon vents. Seemed to have solved the problem. The chemical smell was noticeable for about two or three starts.

Top Bottom