mixing different brands of engine oil

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

c-square

Club Guest
I am running on a fully-synthetic engine oil now. Question is, assuming my engine oil runs low and I couldn't find the same brand of oil, can I just top up the engine oil with a different brand? Will there be any adverse impact on my engine? What if I mix fully synthetic with semi-synthetic or minerals, bearing in mind that the semi-syn or minerals will only be as top-up, ie in relatively small quantity

csq, sure you want to do that... I don't think it is recommended to mix oil of different grade. maybe you can mix oil of same grade i.e. full synthethic with fully synthetic.. (mobil 1 with shell helix).

Why do you post this question? It should be quite simple to buy 1 litre can of the same brand and grade for top up purposes.

My mechanic say not to use fully synthetic oil for old engine coz they are too thin and tends to leak thru the oil seal.. Semi syn would be better if you are experiencing loss of oil.

i don't think x1r is an engine oil.

csquare, just put back the same spec oil. brand doesn't matter. :)

If you're really stuck,can't find the same brand of engine oil,scared the engine will run dry and explode,then yes by all means mix it.It will do no harm.You you will not get the benefits of the original oil.But I would get it replaced at the earliest opportunity. :D

love your engine...never mix oil. This is as different oil come with different additives and the additives are meant to prolong your engine against wear and tear...mixing oil at some means would mean in a way depleting additives....or decreasing their percentage in oil volume...and this is extremely not advisable for hunks who setia with same brand. Fully synthethic oil especially differs by brand setters and are not supposedly of same composition....be wake and set by your mind....love your UDM....arios

Originally posted by elwine30@Oct 9 2005, 11:10 PM
i don't think x1r is an engine oil.

csquare, just put back the same spec oil. brand doesn't matter. :)
Has anyone tried putting 100% X1R into the engine. I remembered seeing an old man putting in 100% of Bardahl 1 ino his Merc. :nyehehe:

Top Bottom