Mini Cooper ClubMan Experience

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
E

elwine30

I had opportunity to try out the Mini Cooper Clubman for 5 days. Being driving to/from work using the NKVE and federal highway. My FR as follows1) Power/Engine/GearboxIt's a 1.6 inline 4 engine which produce up to 118 bhp with 6 speed automatic. Overall, the car is quite fast and zippy for it's size and engine capacity. Basically, I can hit 160 km/h without a sweat at all. On D mode, the car is normal. You can use the paddle shift to downshift or upshift at any point of time. Then after a while, it will switch to D. This feature is cool because you can use the paddle shift to downshift to overtake. Then it will go back to D as you just need that moment to shift gears.On DS, the gear upshift much higher and the car flies. Nothing much here actually.On Sports Mode. The gear will always be in DS mode as default. Now, this is where the car really sprints. It is always on the high gear and it upshift very late. Also, the engine sounds different and it's very much willing to rev. The beautiful thing about the Sports is, it even blips for you when you downshift. In D or DS mode, it's fast. But when it's Sports, the car transforms to a faster beast. It was fun.But you can't drive normal in Sports as the gear keep on hunting. So, SPorts is when you want to run the car. 2) HandlingThe car has very rigid and strong body. It feels heavy and solid but not underpower. The power and weight is very balance. Even for the clubman which is 2.5 inch longer. The steering is very nice. It's very sensitive but yet heavy. It gives a precise point and shoot. LIke go-kart they say. The body roll is minimal. It feels like RWD but when pushed harder, can feel it's understeering. Handbrake turn is VERY easy to do. (that's how they do it in Italian Job). :). Long wheelbase makes it even easier. Suspension is not so stiff. Drive it normal, it's ok. But i don't think i can take it for long distance driving (say to Ipoh or penang). it's not very comfortable3) ConsumptionI did 300km with RM 50 petrol. I was not driving slow and i did a lot of urban driving. Overall, i think the consumption is good for 1.6 and it's not fuel guzzle even if we push it hard. 4) InteriorLove the ambience of the lights. The instrucment cluster is nice and as mentioned in other thread. It's the same. Can change interior light color on the B pillar and on the rear mirror glass. Not used to the speedo in the centre but can change OBC to provide the speedo in the Rev meter front. The light switches is neat. Feel like driving a PLANE. :)Sound system is decent. Enough for me actually. 5) NVHAs a frameless window, wind noise is not that noticeable on highway run. But road noise or tire noise is quite noticeable. Maybe it's RFT. Engine makes quite a nice induction sound. I believe the Cooper S would sounds better. hehehe. 6) PracticalityI think this is good for bachelor boys or weekend car. I need to ferry maid and my girl via the back seat. It's ain't easy. Doing it for 5 days, i think i m getting tired of it and can't wait to get back to a 4 door limo. But the rear qtr door makes it easier for the rear passenger to go in and out. Boot space is quite minimal but for town driving, i think it's ok for me. 7) LooksIt does turn heads and especially girls would tell their bf/husb I want one too. hehe. But it's a chick magnet car actually. Overall, I would say Mini is a nice car to drive in town. But everyday car, i would have to decline. But as weekend car, i wouldn't mind. If i have the cash (or rather plenty of cash), yes I would buy one. Cooper for the wife and Cooper S for me. heheh

Thank you Artyca.

Also just to add, the Mini do comes with EDC. which means, when it's on Sports, the suspension setup is different (from a sifu who mentioned to me). That's another cool feature of the Mini Clubman.

But as what they say, Mini handles like a Go-Kart.

Got Mini Clubman as courtesy car??? Should get Raymond to loan you the Clubman Cooper S... :p

well, Cooper S would be lovely. heheh. But i think i m not complaining for the Cooper actually. But that is maybe i have not tried a Cooper S before even though i sat in one during the SIC open track days. hehehe.

The new cooper S is much better, gone is the whining supercharger sound. Handling is more neutral, less prone to understeer and the turbo boost button is a JOY!!:top:

Another sifu just shared with me that when it's on Sports Mode, the steering ratio changes. This is because the power steering is running on electronic motor. Therefore, software can control the feel of the steering. With the change in the suspension and steering feel, no wonder the car feels different when it's engaged in Sports mode.

BMW makes such marvelous engineering.. hehehe. They really know how to build cars to take away our money. hehehe.

As one of their tagline, BMW do not build boring cars to drive.

Anyway, I know Mini is not BMW but it did inherit some of the BMW DNA. :)

Nice FR elwin......wait till you get your hands on a JCW (John Cooper Works).....that's a brutal little beast! :)

elwine30;388354 said:
Bundy, i thought the new Cooper S comes with Turbo now?

He was refering to supercharger whine from the prev gen Mini Cooper S..

oh, yes. I do remmeber the whine during eeric drive in SIC. That was indeed sweet.

Kev, thanks. I think the Sports mode in the Cooper already brutal for me. I cannot imagine what the Cooper S can do.

ALBundy;388352 said:
The new cooper S is much better, gone is the whining supercharger sound. Handling is more neutral, less prone to understeer and the turbo boost button is a JOY!!:top:

Oh, didn't read your posting clearly. Ohh.. there is a turbo boost button. Darn, should have gotten the Cooper S then. hahaha.

elwine30;388353 said:
Another sifu just shared with me that when it's on Sports Mode, the steering ratio changes. This is because the power steering is running on electronic motor. Therefore, software can control the feel of the steering. With the change in the suspension and steering feel, no wonder the car feels different when it's engaged in Sports mode.

Haiyo...dunno which so called sifu told you that.

Anyway, the Mini IS NOT equipped with active steering and hence the steering ratio always remains the same (think he is confused between servotronic and active steering!!).

The new Mini has this system called Electric Power Steering (EPS or sometimes EPAS - Electric Power Assisted Steering) which in essence uses an electrical motor to assist the driver in steering the car instead of the traditional belt driven steering pump.

Prior to this, BMW has the servotronic which is similar to EPS (except as explained earlier it uses a belt driven pump and utilizes an electromagnetic valve to control the amount of fluid flowing..brilliant!) :)

The steering ratio REMAINS the same!

Cheers

Thanks Bundy for clarifying.

But with the EPS, the driving feel is fantastic. Unlike the other makes EPS which do not give any feedback at all.

where are the pic of the exterior and interior.. close up shot will be highly appreciated.

TQ..

i didn't have a digital cam with me. So, no shots were taken. But i m sure if you visit the Mini showroom, it's readily available for you to view the car. :)

The MC/MCS does not have EDC suspension. My MCS has the optional sports suspension package which is stiffer and lower but also does not have EDC.

The sports button only stiffens the steering & sharpens the throttle through electronic means.

hmm.. conflicting information here. As a user, I know I press sports, the car turns into a beast.

elwine30;389587 said:
hmm.. conflicting information here. As a user, I know I press sports, the car turns into a beast.

Haven't driven the cooper so not sure what the power is like but the sports mode in the Cooper S makes a big difference in the experience.
The throttle response is so much better that without sports mode switched on I have stalled the car because it is so sensitive in sports mode.

If you have a look at the specs online you can see that none of the mini's come with adjustable/EDC suspension.

Top Bottom