Michael Schumacher - the end of an era, retirement of F1 legend

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

xtracooljustin

Club Guest
After 90 wins, 1354 points and seven world championship titles, Michael Schumacher has announced he will retire at the end of this season. Statistically the greatest driver the sport has ever seen, Schumacher has, over the past 16 years, set a new standard to which younger drivers can only aspire. He may have courted controversy at times, but with his departure, the sport will lose one of its leading lights.Born on January 3, 1969, Schumacher’s beginnings were surprisingly unremarkable. The son of a bricklayer who also ran the local kart circuit, the young Michael took to his father’s track like a fish to water. He won his first championship at the age of six - an early demonstration the natural talent and raw speed which have since defined his career.Successive teenage triumphs in Formula Ford and Formula 3 followed and established his reputation as a driver to watch. By his early twenties, the Formula One fraternity had finally taken notice and in 1991 the Jordan team took a gamble, asking him to stand in for a jailed Bertrand Gachot at Spa. Schumacher seized the opportunity with characteristic confidence. He qualified seventh on the grid, impressing rival team Benetton so much they offered him a permanent race seat for the rest of the season.The talent which had carried him this far now blossomed with Benetton’s backing. At the 1991 Italian Grand Prix, Schumacher finished fifth, claiming the first of four points he earned that year. The next season, he enjoyed a maiden win in Belgium, racked up 53 points and beat his more experienced team mate Martin Brundle to take third in the championship. A year later he was fourth in the championship and reigning supreme within the team.The rest has become the stuff of history. Motivating Benetton to greatness, Schumacher became the lynch pin of a group of immensely capable people. His dedicated work ethic and passion for winning paid off with back-to-back drivers’ titles in 1994 and 1995. Just three years into his Formula One career and Schumacher was well on his way to becoming a legend.In 1996, the world champion made a brave move. After four seasons with Benetton, he signed to Ferrari - a team which hadn’t won a championship in almost 20 years. Arriving in Maranello, Schumacher set about rejuvenating the Italian squad, attracting two of the founder members of his title-winning outfit at Benetton to join him later that year. Ross Brawn became technical director and Rory Byrne chief designer.Schumacher’s first season at Ferrari was a trying one. Nevertheless, relying for the most part on his natural talent, he took three victories out of an under-performing car. By ‘98, things were looking more promising and he finished second overall in the title race to Mika Hakkinen. Then in 1999, Schumacher was forced to show his mettle once more after a heavy crash in Silverstone broke his leg and put paid to his title chances for another year.It was during these early days at Ferrari, when his stakes were down, that Schumacher’s determination and obsessive dedication shone through. As a result, in 2000, everything finally slotted into place and Schumacher, after winning nine races, became the Italian team’s first world champion in 21 years. The German legend would continue winning for the next four seasons, racking up 39 victories and four further championships. He dominated the sport in a way never seen before and firmly ensconced himself in the record books.Only in 2005, with the rise of Fernando Alonso and Renault, did that dominance begin to wane. Then, as in ’96, Schumacher’s strength of mind came to the fore, as he pushed an uncompetitive car to go faster. The result was third in the championship - five places above a team mate in identical machinery. And in 2006 Ferrari are back and fighting, revived in small part by Schumacher’s resolute ambition and refusal to lie down. Even now, at the age of 37 and heading into retirement, he is still fighting for every win.Of course, such success rarely comes without controversy, and Schumacher has courted his fair share over the years. His first title in 1994 was tainted (and clinched) with a timely collision with the Williams of rival Damon Hill. Then in 1996, he was stripped of second place in the championship after crashing into Jacques Villeneuve - another title challenger - in Jerez. And more recently the German’s ethics have been called into question following his qualifying accident in Monaco this year.Schumacher’s insistence on number-one status at Ferrari also drew criticism from some quarters. Eddie Irvine, Rubens Barrichello, and Felipe Massa were all compliant number twos and doubtless played a role in his success. But that cannot diminish the great on-track rivalries Schumacher enjoyed - and won - with the greats from other teams. The likes of Hill, Villeneuve, Hakkinen were all champions themselves, but in the long term none could match his all-round ability. Be it speed, natural talent, ruthlessness or hard work, Schumacher had it all. He rarely made mistakes, his prowess in the rain has been well documented, and he has become so attuned to the development of the cars he drives that he can continually adapt their set-up mid race to his advantage.The other world champion to leave the sport this year, Jacques Villeneuve, questioned whether Schumacher’s legacy will be as long-lasting as that of Fangio, Senna or Prost. But with 90 wins, 68 pole positions, 75 fastest laps, 1354 points and those seven world titles, most would say Michael Schumacher will never be forgotten - or beaten!

A fantastic achievement. Will be missed.

Looking forward to see how Kimi will perform in a Ferrari.

Fantastic driver.

I feel very fortunate that i am able to witness with my own eyes and on the tv this true legend in motorsport and able to tell my children one day i saw live on track in sepang the best ever F1 driver.

Read the news today, Alonso slam M.shcu for not being a good sportman. check out at The Star.

No doubt Schumi is the greatest driver of his generation. But his antics on the track is something else, definitely not a true gentleman. In his earlier yeats at Benetton, he was no match to Senna which many still regards as the best driver ever!

When he had less than dominating equipment, he was having a tough time with Mika Hakkinen before the turn of the century.

Great Driver? Yes! Greatest ever? No.

Important thing is... we're all witness to our generation's greatest drives - senna, schumi, alonso, etc

I think Alonso is rather over-rated in many ways! I mean, he won ONE championship and that was post the rule changes that was meant to curb Ferrari's dominance in many ways. So, what the frak is he bitching about when I think most people are able to see how the recent rule and policy changes by FIA did in many ways allow Renault to shine thru. The X factor here is that they were able to adapt and capitalize of these rule changes and etc far better and more effectively than any other team in 2005.

So, the little boy shud just keep his mouth shut and show his mettle on the track instead - assuming that he can do that while trying not to turn himself into a Mini Briatore. Renault has the right mix of drivers, machinery and teamwork but look at the rest of the grid and you'll realise that there are atleast 3 other teams apart from Renault and Ferrari who's capable of race wins. The only thing that they lack is the consistency of the two to make a lasting impact.

I guess that while Michael is undoubtedly the best modern day F1 driver by his achievement, it's kinda hard to actually come to a conclusive agreement of the best ever. Remember that we're transcending different timeline in history, generation of drivers, race conditions, machineries, technology and tracks. While every generation may have their own hero from Rosemeyer, Caracciola, Nuvolari, Fangio, Moss, Clark, Prost, Senna and Schumi it's essential to recognize the fact that we've all been fortunate and even blessed in many ways to see and hear of the exploits of these speed meisters! And God bless those wonderful machines that were their chariots of choice thru the genaration from Alfa, Auto Union, BMW, Ferrari, Lotus, Mercedes not to forget Cooper, BRM, Brabham, March, Williams, Tyrrell and McLaren!

Cheers,
VaN.

He should retire when he have full of dignity but human always greedy .........

Iqlima said:

bro , keep this in mind , schumi is only 2 poits behind alonso now .. wouldnt it be the best if schumi wins the world championship during his last race .. that will be the perfect send off for him .. schumi will be missed but behold a new world champion in kimi raikonen !..
cheers !..

Iqlima said:

I beg to differ, bro He's not exactly a shabby driver someone who's supposedly due for retirement! I mean, if a Has-Been Sulky Sally like Jacques Villeneuve can hang around and keep harping on past glory, I see no reason for the oldies like Schumi and even Coulthard to be forced into retirement until they do so!

Cheers,
VaN.

Please remember that Schumacher actually beat Senna and won the first 3 races in 1994 until the fatal accident.
His dubious manouvers in 94,97 and most recently Monaco not withstanding..... I think Alonso should show a little more respect... If it wasn't for all the anti Ferrari rule changes, he would never have won last year....
AND JV should just keep his mouth shut coz it just makes him look even more pathetic than the perception already is.One lousy championship in the best car that year (in which any monkey could have won)..... and he comes up with a statement like that!

scin said:
Please remember that Schumacher actually beat Senna and won the first 3 races in 1994 until the fatal accident.
His dubious manouvers in 94,97 and most recently Monaco not withstanding..... I think Alonso should show a little more respect... If it wasn't for all the anti Ferrari rule changes, he would never have won last year....
AND JV should just keep his mouth shut coz it just makes him look even more pathetic than the perception already is.One lousy championship in the best car that year (in which any monkey could have won)..... and he comes up with a statement like that!

Bro, no doubt that schumi won the three races, but if memory serves me right, Senna had out qualified Schumi on all occasions and was clearly the superior driver...the Williams Renault let him down and ultimately cost his life :(

alonso....montoya...for me just to rough n rude.....i like schumi more as he more polite...hehehee...signal...mirror....n bla bla bla....

schumi's driving is very good but maybe not the best....in my books!

but it's his motivational skills, how he drives his boys/crew to back him, how he shows his appreciation at the par ferme, the joy of winning on the podium that get my complete 100% approval.....

That no one can match him....Senna ( my idol in driving ), Kimi, Hakinnen, in fact no one can match him on the off track bits! Of course the team management has lots to do with it too...

just my 2 kupangs...

schumi is the best living driver... the dead one was senna... after senna i llook for idol and found schumi... after this...massa.....:p

Kubica for me is the young upcoming driver for me.. big plus he is doing even better than Heidfeld in only a few races.. and he is a BMW driver go Kubica!

Schumacer's achievement is second to none maybe there were better drivers but Micheal dominated the sport.

While there is no doubt that Senna was the best in terms of pure speed but, Schumi is the complete driver..... being able to bring the car home,able to qualify well, racecraft, tactics, teamwork, car setup and development on and off the track... etc etc.
AND being able to win races in a car that is obviously not the best one out there.

Top Bottom