Metallic Clicking Sound - Rear

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bindablitz

Club Guest
Lately I have this symptom on my car.I hear a metallic clicking sound when I engage Drive mode or Reverse mode. I sometimes hear the same sound upon acceleration and sometimes braking. (intermittent) Once the car is moving or cruising you do not hear the metallic clicking sound. No power loss or any other issues except for the irritating metallic clicking sound. (sounds like very hot metal flexing - lack of a better word to describe it)I had it checked and it is apparently due to the long shaft and servicing it will not help. The long shaft is still in great condition and changing for a new one / used one would solve the problem but no point as there is nothing really wrong with the long shaft according to the workshop. I am just irritated and I have been searching the net for some answers. The other explaination would be the drivetrain guibo but the symptoms does not really match per se. (I could be wrong).Anybody can help out here?

After much research, checking with AB and consulting my regular workshop, apparently this is a "known" problem among E39 Double Vanos and leads to no apparent damage in the long term. Just plain irritating.

I have resign to hearing the metalic clicking sound for awhile until my next trip overseas and leaving my car for 10 days to my workshop to investigate the matter thoroughly.

Alternative is to change the whole long shaft and that is a painful affair. Furthermore there is no damage per se to the existing long shaft. *sigh*

Top Bottom