Memory seats- Where or how to get 'em fixed?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

theduke

Club Guest
Having this problem for quite some time now. Both front seats seem to be either not functioning properly or they totally won't work at all. Not so sure if it's the motor or the cables. Any advise or workshop to refer to?

Most mech can repair it. It's usually the cable not being attached properly to the motor. You can also a DIY repair. I fixed mine about a year back.

Did sent it to the mech bt seems that he cant really get it fixed. He also did try to adjust the cables but the prob stil persistup till recently the driver side got jammed up real bad. how do we do it DIY?

Yeah I initially sent it to my mech, was charged to get the cable fixed. Was 2 years back and last year another cable started giving my problems again so DIY'ed the fix.

My particular problem was resolved by pulling out the metal cable from the motor and cutting off 1/2" of the rubber sheath and reinserting back the back into the motor. Not sure if thats the same problem your having, its rare that the motor itself would "kong" but worth checking if the motor is still working. If for your situation its the cable then the fix should be easier and also cheaper.

Replay;652154 said:
Yeah I initially sent it to my mech, was charged to get the cable fixed. Was 2 years back and last year another cable started giving my problems again so DIY'ed the fix.

My particular problem was resolved by pulling out the metal cable from the motor and cutting off 1/2" of the rubber sheath and reinserting back the back into the motor. Not sure if thats the same problem your having, its rare that the motor itself would "kong" but worth checking if the motor is still working. If for your situation its the cable then the fix should be easier and also cheaper.

Thanks for the tip. Now it seems that the seats are as if slipping. Mech cant determine if its the gears or the cables. How did you actually do it? Do you need totake out the seats?

Seats slipping? sounds like the cable is not properly inserted into the motor, seems to happen with age.

Yes you would need to remove the torox screws for the seats so that you can rotate the seats to get easier access to the cables and motor. Its quite a large torox head, size 50 if not mistaken, any good DIY shop should have those sizes. I personally used the lighter method, where i used a ciggie lighter to heat up the metal cylinder where the cable is inserted into, this metal cylinder is in turn part of the motor. Once the metal bit is heated up, it'll expand slight and you would be able to slip out the cable. You then just need to cut 1/2" of the black rubber sheath. Reheat the metal bit once again and insert the cable back to its original location. So this method didnt need me to remove the motor which is a PITA.

Good luck with the repair buddy..

Replay;652386 said:
Seats slipping? sounds like the cable is not properly inserted into the motor, seems to happen with age.

Yes you would need to remove the torox screws for the seats so that you can rotate the seats to get easier access to the cables and motor. Its quite a large torox head, size 50 if not mistaken, any good DIY shop should have those sizes. I personally used the lighter method, where i used a ciggie lighter to heat up the metal cylinder where the cable is inserted into, this metal cylinder is in turn part of the motor. Once the metal bit is heated up, it'll expand slight and you would be able to slip out the cable. You then just need to cut 1/2" of the black rubber sheath. Reheat the metal bit once again and insert the cable back to its original location. So this method didnt need me to remove the motor which is a PITA.

Good luck with the repair buddy..

mucho mucho gracias! I think I'l get my mech to help out with this.

Bro, if ur seats is the same as the E38, i have plenty of sets to be choose from and if it really the same shape, maybe can use back ur original leather..pm me :)

YaZmEeN;652437 said:
Bro, if ur seats is the same as the E38, i have plenty of sets to be choose from and if it really the same shape, maybe can use back ur original leather..pm me :)

That I'm not too sure of... Anyone here can verify this?

YaZmEeN;652437 said:

Yazmeen Chop Shop is open for business...heheehehe

THe E38 & E39 seats, are they the same? Forgive me for being such a noob but how does the comfort seats look like?

for ur reference :D

[video=youtube;lMkD6oLIozA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMkD6oLIozA[/video]

mine have this problem too...so I dare not to change the position...hence my wife can't drive my bimma :D

last few weeks i've measured the length and width of E39 seat with the E38 seat, and it looks like E38 seat is slightly bigger, but if anyone of u willing to take out ur seat and just try to install the E38( u need time, seriously) do let me know...we need to do it physically to confirm

Lots of guys with E39 in the UK forum has retrofitted E38 Contour seats to their rides with no problem. I'll find a link later.

theduke/bazet,

guys I had the same problem with both my front seats.

I got them fixed at WP Auto, Pandan Mewah. Seats will have to be removed and if the motor is OK, the cable needs to be repaired. Give Albert Fang a call 012-2017792.

Top Bottom