M52TUb28 with S52 camshaft

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bikerz

Club Guest
hye, i would like to install S52 cams on my engine. Does is plug and play? Do I need to change the pistons, or any other component? how much gain should i expect with this mod?I plan to buy the cam here - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-99-BMW-M3-E36-S52-3-2L-Both-Camshafts-w-Trays-OEM-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem35af87ed2eQQitemZ230578187566QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesany body had experienced with ebay? is it safe to buy from there? what safety measure do I have to counter-check?

pussy for M52TUB28 should use S50 cams izzit? Since it's both double vanos.

My M52B28 with S52 cams is showing the vanos jam fault code as well.

so bro loafer, even with fault code, the engine is still running without prob? how about the power gain? worth the effort?

so what should we do to remove the fault code? ecu re-map?

bikerz yea it's running without any issues. Actually I've never plugged into the diagnostic systems after changing the cams. I only plugged in sometime last year when I changed to the Beisan vanos seals and found the fault code. So honestly I can't say for sure if it was the cams or the Beisan seals that is giving me the fault code.

Oh the power gain is definitely worth it... :)

paultantk;605531 said:
My m52b28 with s52 cams has no Vanos jam code

Means the jam code came from the Beisan seals la I would think. But even with the jam code my mech has checked everything and it all seems fine....

bikerz;605519 said:
really.. that's good news to hear.. have u dyno your car?

Yea dyno-ed end 2009. 201rwhp. Forgot the torque though...I think it was 239Nm on wheels...or somewhere around there. It's a combination of mods though not just the cams itself when I did the dyno but cams will definitely give you more noticeable gains on the butt dyno as compared to mods like air filter and such.

loafer;605251 said:
pussy for M52TUB28 should use S50 cams izzit? Since it's both double vanos.

My M52B28 with S52 cams is showing the vanos jam fault code as well.

opps, my bad

loafer;605540 said:
Means the jam code came from the Beisan seals la I would think. But even with the jam code my mech has checked everything and it all seems fine....

nope, the seals have nothing to do with it..the M52 engines fitted with the US spec M3.2 cams will cause the jam code to come out. reason is the cam advance/retard profile differ from the normal cam, hence the vanos jam code will appear.

to settle it, need a new program like paultan has his written in his 3.2.....

pussy;605616 said:
cos your program has overide the jam issue without a ecu flash..

i was running the engine without a 3.2 tune cos karl was on holiday... it was an old 2.8 tune and there was no jam error. but then again probably cannot use this scenario since the 2.8 tune wasnt a stock tune.

loafer;605544 said:
Yea dyno-ed end 2009. 201rwhp. Forgot the torque though...I think it was 239Nm on wheels...or somewhere around there. It's a combination of mods though not just the cams itself when I did the dyno but cams will definitely give you more noticeable gains on the butt dyno as compared to mods like air filter and such.

201rwhp is a good figure, but torque 239Nm is a no-no because stock was 279Nm... is it the cam reduce the torque to gain hp?

to write the new prog, re-map the ecu like bernard of BVO does will settle the problem?

pussy;605618 said:
nope, the seals have nothing to do with it..the M52 engines fitted with the US spec M3.2 cams will cause the jam code to come out. reason is the cam advance/retard profile differ from the normal cam, hence the vanos jam code will appear.

to settle it, need a new program like paultan has his written in his 3.2.....

Means need ecu reflash la. I never did that for my car. Wasn't too bothered with it la...some day maybe.

bikerz;605664 said:
201rwhp is a good figure, but torque 239Nm is a no-no because stock was 279Nm... is it the cam reduce the torque to gain hp?

to write the new prog, re-map the ecu like bernard of BVO does will settle the problem?

On wheel.

paultantk;605648 said:
i was running the engine without a 3.2 tune cos karl was on holiday... it was an old 2.8 tune and there was no jam error. but then again probably cannot use this scenario since the 2.8 tune wasnt a stock tune.

Paul, it coz ur 2.8 tune was already a monster tune taking into account of the cams. u need a software map revision to take into account for the cams, otherwise u will get the error code. bosch based ecu's wont have this problem as its ol' skool. hahaha

to get max gains from the cams, best u pair it with the software upgrade. on the bosch ecu's, a 2.8 manual with s52 cams can get around 220+/-whp. it all depends how well the tune is.

pussy;605616 said:
cos your program has overide the jam issue without a ecu flash..

Change the original extractor some more best.....
with HIOP extractor just plug and play ya.... plus the drop in K & N filter....nice..
change also the 325 manifold plus the HIOP exchaust system...
more pick up ya.... no harm to try....
no regret...

dominic;605812 said:
Change the original extractor some more best.....
with HIOP extractor just plug and play ya.... plus the drop in K & N filter....nice..
change also the 325 manifold plus the HIOP exchaust system...
more pick up ya.... no harm to try....
no regret...

yup, superb cheap mod...

paultantk;605648 said:

paul, the cams in the 2.8 is a reprofiled unit with slightly higher duration than stock. shoulfdnt have any error code even with the s52 cam because the vanos setting is set accordingly in the tune provided with the engine.

bikerz;605106 said:
hye, i would like to install S52 cams on my engine. Does is plug and play? Do I need to change the pistons, or any other component? how much gain should i expect with this mod?

I plan to buy the cam here - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

any body had experienced with ebay? is it safe to buy from there? what safety measure do I have to counter-check?

to the OP,

is your car a single vanos 2.8L M52B2x or double vanos M52TUB2x?

US M3 Cams is only applicable to single vanos engine, go check your engine, (only one right boob visible at the valve cover). cams for S50 US (with cam trays) or S52 cams will be fine.

For all M52TU or M54 double vanos engine, these s50/s52 cams WILL NOT FIT. aftermarket cams or 330zhp cams are your best bet.

and for all the engines above. adding cams without the proper software tuning is worthless.

Top Bottom