M50 5 speed

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

opp

Club Guest
Guys,Wanted to hear from you guys if you have heard that there is such a combo. M50 engine which a Toyota gerabox.??I was looking for an engine for my ride 1993 318i E36 and found oune 1/2 cut . Spec year 1995 320i Japan Spec 5 speed Auto. The funny thing is the wrecker guy kept insisting that the gearbox was neither a GM G/box nor a ZF but a Toyota g/box!!Any comments?Also, he claims that this is a single Vanos version. Did the 95 320i engine have single Vanos by 95? CheerS!!!

Originally posted by opp@Apr 16 2006, 08:55 AM
Guys,

Wanted to hear from you guys if you have heard that there is such a combo. M50 engine which a Toyota gerabox.??

I was looking for an engine for my ride 1993 318i E36 and found oune 1/2 cut . Spec year 1995 320i Japan Spec 5 speed Auto. The funny thing is the wrecker guy kept insisting that the gearbox was neither a GM G/box nor a ZF but a Toyota g/box!!

Any comments?

Also, he claims that this is a single Vanos version. Did the 95 320i engine have single Vanos by 95?

CheerS!!!
Well, truth to say i saw a forummer who lives in Seri Petaling has an 320 which is i think 94-96 has a single vanos however.

About the gearbox, i hav no answer and btw from which toyota does it came from...

He could be referring to the Jatco gearbox, which is used in the Japanese E34 and maybe E36.

Flanker,

U are right. these is a Jatco sticker on the gbox. Have no idea which Nissan it if from. Part number YOD

Do u think 4.5K is ok for the half cut?

Zoggee,

I am WWK friend. Do you know where the Jatco gbox is from? Is it an easy replacement if in the future this gbox were to crap up? or would the GM or ZF GB be a better bet?

Thanks

the Jatco gearbox is a dime a dozen..(ok lah, not exactly a dime) cos it's not repairable. Buy, use, and throw away after use... and buy new one after that..

Originally posted by fabianyee@Apr 16 2006, 08:56 PM
the Jatco gearbox is a dime a dozen..(ok lah, not exactly a dime) cos it's not repairable. Buy, use, and throw away after use... and buy new one after that..
:eek: like disposable lens! Normall how much for new and 2nd hand?

Fabian,

U mean like buy an trow?? WTF? is it really that cheap? Any idea how much izzit? Is it a dependable box?

Thanks

The Jatco gearbox is smooth and seem to accelerate faster (japanese gearing?). Zoggee didn't believe until he drove one. As most Jap cars are low mileage (below 50,000 km?), the gearbox is good for a few more years at least if it is well taken care of.

Since you are changing to a different gearbox, make sure there is a matching ECU, long shaft (assuming the current long shaft doesn't fit), and you may need a new rear differential too with the matching ratio.

Bro,

Its a half cut and would come with the necessary hardware. Just no too sure bout the RM 4.5K price tag!!!

hi opp,

AFAIK, jatco gearbox kinda cheap though, price are ard RM +-1k. non repairable, use n throw kinda thing.. but worth it man.

its use on the BMW japan spec. 5 speed auto. (thks albert n vincent for the info)...

if yr 320 is on year 95, yes, its a single vanos. NON vanos M50B20 prod is till year 89-92, then onwards,

A "Technical Upgrade" was issued in 1992 when the M50 because BMW's first engine to utilize the VANOS technology. Engines with a designation of M50TU are VANOS engines.

hope this info helps man.. :)

Jsen,

Thanks man.

Just curious. Do u drive a black E46 with those projector type angle eyes??

If yes, cool car. Cheers!!

Top Bottom