m43 engine, lasting ?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

vincent

Club Guest
hi all , i need to ask something . i have chnage my auto tranny to manual trans. now i found out that 318 m43 engine is not that underpower anymore , but the thing is i tend to drive at higher rpm after the tranny swap , the question is , if i do that too often will my engine "kong" in no time or just im over worried about it becox the m43 is not tht fragile . by the way high rpm for me is around 5000rpm once in a while to 6000rpm (redline) hope there will be someone share wit me on this ....

vincent said:
so any input from you zoggee ? hope you can give me some info
when you got a manual tranny...just enjoy it. not that hard to drive anyway.Drive it stock...

.... and the M43 is perhaps one of BMW's most robust and cheap to maintain engines. So, whack all you like!

Actually there are some units of the original manual M43 around, out about the same time as the manual 325i.... With the manual gearbox, it's no slouch... and the M43 is a hardy engine to play with... as long as u maintain it appropriately.

vincent said:
hi all , i need to ask something .

i have chnage my auto tranny to manual trans. now i found out that 318 m43 engine is not that underpower anymore , but the thing is i tend to drive at higher rpm after the tranny swap , the question is , if i do that too often will my engine "kong" in no time or just im over worried about it becox the m43 is not tht fragile .

by the way high rpm for me is around 5000rpm once in a while to 6000rpm (redline)

hope there will be someone share wit me on this ....

Alamak......when on auto ...takut gearbox rosak.......Now on manual...takut engine rosak pulak .......Hehehehhehehheh:D
Just enjoy ur ride....dont worry ....1st thing to do now is to get the correct rear differential after the convertion ........

Then dun drive the car hehehehe

No worry bro just change the oil regularly every 5k km. M43 is quite reliable and easy to maintain. And no worry of snapping belting since it does not hv one:D
How much it cost for the conversion?

initialM said:
Then dun drive the car hehehehe

No worry bro just change the oil regularly every 5k km. M43 is quite reliable and easy to maintain. And no worry of snapping belting since it does not hv one:D
How much it cost for the conversion?

Hahahahhahah....gatal oledi:D

al. dont lar call me uncle im not tht old le im onli 26 yrs old ahahahahaa

the rear diff is currently using 4.44 which is the ori autobox ones , he promise me he will chnage it to the ori specs for me this week .
any recomendation from you ,and what is yours in your IS?

initialM ,
it cost me rm 2000 bucks for the whole convertion , wit new clutch set including labour , the job takes onli a full day but the best is give him 2 days lar ....is done in happy auto near chan sow lin , albundy told me there have manual g/b so went there indeed they have it ... oh ..forgot i have to trade in my auto tranny to them for that price ...

if i can rmb is corretly, albundy is using 3.45.. jsut a right ratio..

vincent, yr ratio is extremely high lor... damn scared to tekan.. little little have to change gears.. so, when are u goin to swap back the ratio...? rmb to ask for me.. thks...

I am using 3.15 now, better for all round driving. Original iS ratio is 3.46, good for city driving but a little too high for me on the highway.

Oh wow, 4.44... that is pretty short, definitely not right for any situation, except off road when climbing steep rocks... but then this is not a 4WD vehicle... the 5th gear will still be shorter than the 4th, with the 4.44, your 5th gear ratio will be somewhere in between 3rd and 4th of those cars with 3.15 rear diff... no wonder you are pulling 6000rpm easily... of course if you rebuild your engine to race spec and make it rev till 10000rpm or more, the 4.44 will suddenly become suitable again...

i have just change the rear diff today to 3.45 is still high side for me,

al, i was told tht u are using 3.45the last time ?what is rpm when u are on 110kmh ...?

abd what about 3.15 now for your 110kmh .
i dont think my car can use 3.15 car under power le

vincent, on my 325i with stock 3.15, I think it's about 3000-3100rpm for actual 110km/h (speedo is showing 115km/h, out by about 5km/h on mine)

wah lcp like tht my car if i put 3.38 which is the ori spec also the rpm will be above 3000 ar ...

Ori spec for M42 is 3.46, for M44 is 3.38.

Vincent, 3.46 is okie, can still reach 210km/hr kekeke.

There is a reason why BMW choose that ratio for the iS, that is to compensate for the inadequate low end torque.

Dont change to the 3.15 unless you travel on the highway exclusively.

Top Bottom